Matchless Reg. SFC72

Where is that old bike?
shaunstaples

Matchless Reg. SFC72

Post by shaunstaples »

Hi from New Member,

My Aunty Passed away recently and I've had a few Photos sent over me from my cousins and wondered if my uncle Charlies Matchless has survived?
I've got a few photos of him out on his bike but not sure how to share them on here.

I started looking at bikes this summer and wanted a single, but 1st bike I went to see was a 1952 AJS model 20. I never buy 1st bike I look at, but did this time. So will probably have to apologise in advance for all the future help!

Thanks Shaun (Sheffield)
shaunstaples

Re: Matchless Reg. SFC72

Post by shaunstaples »

My uncle is the 2nd from left on 1st picture

g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Oh the joys of fixing punctures , but the rewards afterwards and the memories of riding bikes with mates
I always carry a spare tube and levers on my trips if i'm away from home for more than a day
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I know, that feeling of getting back on your bike after the pain of a puncture.
I'm just starting to get ready for next year, hoping to get out and about in the peak district at first, then venture further if all goes well.

I've checked on DVLA website but reg. is unrecognised unfortunately, was just on off chance sometimes you get lucky.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Shaun . Welcome to the club.
Where were the pictures of your uncle taken and where was he from ?
We at the Notts and Derby section often have runs up into the Peak district , last one was to the café at Grindleford station in early Nov.
You are more than welcome to come and meet us.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

It might interest to note the similarly of the first image to the cairn on Dunkery Hill, which places the photo on Exmoor.
Screenshot_20221210_093130_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I wasn't sure where the pics were from, I could work out National trust from the pic but that's about it. Charlie was from Laindon and settled in Basildon Essex. So could be from that region?
I've been to Grindleford station before and would be nice to meet up when I get out and about.
Carb needs looking at, choke cable has come adrift and I cant move throttle stop
Timing Seems Too Advanced to me, as it kicks back when the lever is pulled back a little from fully slack (Presuming slack = fully advanced)
When I bought it, it had wet sumped and the crankcase had been drained but not the chaincase. Oil is leaking out of centre nut of chaincase.
I'll try and get a picture of it on here if i can
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Andy G

Post by Andy G »

I can't guess at the other phots, but that first one is definitively Dunkery Hill.
Your Model 20 looks lovely
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks Andy, first bike I went to look at and I tried but couldn't find a reason not to get it, Picture looks better than it is in real life, I wanted something that I can make a usable bike, not to put on display?
100% Dunkery Hill, Pointing under sign looks different and somebody's nicked top stone (I've got a headache doing spot the difference)