High Handlebars

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Martin Pearson

High Handlebars

Post by Martin Pearson »

I'm thinking of fitting "trials type" handlebars to my 1955 G3LS as age dictates it's a bit of a stretch to the standard bars. I presume this has been done before, so does anyone have any recommendations re type or supplier? Regards
spookefoote1956

Re: High Handlebars

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Morning Martin. I have trials bars on my model 18 and also some risers. Great seating position and great for my back
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264017352248 ... R_jArYSQYQ
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've never fitted braced 'bars but I believe that if the middle straight part (the bit under the clamp) isn't long enough the 'bars can come into contact with the petrol tank.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I always find handlebars tricky things...
Adverts show a photo, sometimes with some dimensions, rise and pull back etc. But you're never sure until you fit them how they are going to look and feel. I guess that's why you are asking.
The only high bars I have fitted that I actually know for sure what they are, are the semi western bars from AMC classic spares:
IMG_20221116_145137.jpg
At 28" wide they are 3" narrower than the originals.
I have other high bars that have hit the tank when I have tried to fit them, as Spriddler says. But the problem I've had is when the central part that clamps in is too long, the ones in the photo just clear, but if the central part was longer they would contact the tank on full lock.
That said a different type of tank, a different story no doubt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin Pearson

Post by Martin Pearson »

Many thanks for the advice & information guys. I'll measure up carefully and perhaps have a look round at Newark in a few weeks time. As said it's difficult to be sure how bars will fit & look (though doubtless not as daft as the "ace " dropped bars on my 1958 G3LS when I bought it as my first "big bike" in 1965. Cheers, & thanks again. Martin
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:11 pm I've never fitted braced 'bars but I believe that if the middle straight part (the bit under the clamp) isn't long enough the 'bars can come into contact with the petrol tank.
Yep. Been there and done it. Still got the marks on the tank.
MartinAmes

Post by MartinAmes »

20221210_100337.jpg
20221210_100326.jpg
I used some handlebars from Fecked.com on my G11 (no steering damper)
These made it a lot more comfortable to ride on road, and I green lane a lot as well so needed some higher bars when standing up.

----------------------------------------------------
(trials bike section)
Classic High Rise Motocross Braced Handlebars - 7/8" - 6+1/2" Rise

Designed in association with Sammy Miller these are low rise braced bars suitable for many British and European MX and trials bikes. 

Diameter: 22mm (7/8")
Total length: 89cm (35")
Handlebars rake back 10cm (4") from centre
In normal riding position the bars have an approximate rise of 16.5cm (6+1/2") high
Centre fixing section: 16.5cm (6+1/2")

Chrome plated - made in England
£42.50
---------------------------------------------------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.