Bike Sales

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
OEW591

Bike Sales

Post by OEW591 »

This may be considered heresy, but having read the Committee Meeting Minutes, should the club consider ending the bike sales operation at Kettering?

The world has moved on since the start of bike sales and it is now quite easy for members who are retiring or for families of members who sadly pass away, to sell on Ebay. There are many more classic bike dealers, so it is a very competitive market. 8 sales in 5 months in the peak motorcycling season seems unsustainable.

Other dealers seem to have sold AMC bikes over a similar period, often advertised for higher prices than Kettering. There seems to be some disconnect between potential customers and the club sales operation. It could be better targeted advertising in the magazines by the other dealers.

This issue could also have an impact on the decisions relating to the building at Kettering. If bike sales ceased even less space would be needed.

In these uncertain economic times, I think we have to consider all options, including the unpalatable ones.....
Groily

Re: Bike Sales

Post by Groily »

Doesn't sound from the Minutes as if there are a lot of good options on the property front sadly, given the depressed state of the market, so the attraction on paper of finding something smaller and more affordable post-Vincent OC looks elusive? Maybe even illusionary! One might therefore infer that NOT selling bikes might actually be a poor idea because it would increase the proportion of redundant, apparently unlettable, but still-to-be-paid-for space?
The Minutes go on to say that sales of machines generate 'profit . . . (which is) so important to Club finances'. Are there any significant other costs that would be eliminated if we DIDN'T run the bike sales operation; and would any savings be worth more than the aforementioned profit, I ask myself?
Twenty-nine sales in the year to date isn't so very bad on the face of it, even if '8 in 5 months' is not good news. I wonder if the trade in general is suffering some of the same, given the state of the economy? I suspect it probably is, as most things have a very pear-shaped look and feel to them just at the moment . . . but not going there as I feel a rant coming on and fear any further comment might be judged 'intemperate' or worse!
Triumph-Legend

Re: Bike Sales

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Hmm, Fleabay eh. There are other low cost areas for promoting sales. How about trying Car and Classic. (carandclassic.com).

The comment regarding using the space taken by bike sales is only a part of the problem, there is also all the un-used space that was once occupied by the Vincent Owners Club. It may possible to rent the significant area previosly occupied by VOC to another small enterprise, however this will possibly create a whole parcel of problems regarding building and contents liability insurance as well as security and public and employer liability issues.

I personally think the answer is to enhance the classic bike trading side of things and possibly move to include all makes of classic machines rather than offering just AMC machines. Also to promote sales more aggresively. If classic bike dealers are making decent profits, could a slice of the market be willing to spend their money with the club. The club already sells other makes of machine on a limited add hock basis. perhaps this is a way forward without introducing any other outside influences.