Replacing drive end oil seal on E3L dynamo

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Trefor

Replacing drive end oil seal on E3L dynamo

Post by Trefor »

I need to replace the seal on the drive end of a E3L dynamo (fitted to a G9, the oil is not coming from around the cork crankcase seal I've fixed that probably temporarily with heaps of silicon). It seems once the drive gear is removed the seal is under a plate and no more dismantling necessary. Is this the case and how difficult is it to get the gear off?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Replacing drive end oil seal on E3L dynamo

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I last refurbished my E3N 12 years ago and can't remember much about the job but there's a Lucas service sheet with diagrams in Christians Archive which may be useful, here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ele ... LM_E3N.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Trefor wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:00 pm I need to replace the seal on the drive end of a E3L dynamo (fitted to a G9, the oil is not coming from around the cork crankcase seal I've fixed that probably temporarily with heaps of silicon). It seems once the drive gear is removed the seal is under a plate and no more dismantling necessary. Is this the case and how difficult is it to get the gear off?
That assumption is correct, also make sure that the seal is fitted the correct way round, the spring faces out towards the drive gear! I've seen so many that have been refurbished with the seal fitted the wrong way! The drive gear should slide off pretty easily with a couple of nice flat levers placed either side of the gear, as wide as possible to avoid damaging the seal holder when applying the pressure.
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks for the replies, just what I needed to know.