Oil filter G5

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Jmcquilliam

Oil filter G5

Post by Jmcquilliam »

Hello every one.
I have just bought a 61 G5 and I am keen to change the oil. I ha be removed the oil filter cap , and removed a long spring , filter cap and the shorter felt filter. I have ordered a long felt filter , short spring and cap for the non spring side. I am now. Puzzled by the lack of this cap when I pulled out my old filter. Is it likely to be stuck in there still ? Any tips for pulling it out ? I don’t want to assume it’s in there and sitting correctly and neither do I want to end up with 2 caps in there .
Any a£vice greatfully received
Thanks
John
SPRIDDLER

Re: Oil filter G5

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, John.
If the cup didn't come out it's still there if it was already fitted, and they don't wear so I'd leave it there.

Have a look at pages 18 and 19 in the workshop manual here which suggests using long-nose pliers to remove the cup:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... .NEILL.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Having just done it this afternoon, use an old bicycle spoke with the end cut to make a hook, also useful to remove the oil pump if you ever need to. There should be a rubber washer that sits right at the end of the gallery, you should pull it out and replace it as it will have gone hard, a good torch will be a bonus here. More often than not though, there will be nothing left in there. You should have: a screw cap, a spring, a cap then the filter then a seating cap 042062 and a rubber washer. Unless you have the one piece filter in which case you will have the filter assembly and a rubber washer.
Bill N

Post by Bill N »

Thank you Red Gauntlet. I've just done the oil change on my Model 8 for the first time and made a guess about how the filter went back in, based on what I thought might make sense. I'm not sure whether it was installed correctly before or not but you have confirmed that I've got it right now. I feel it was as much by good luck as good judgement. At any rate, the oil is circulating nicely and the engine sounds better for it.