Alternator stator replacement G2 CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
brownrj9

Alternator stator replacement G2 CSR

Post by brownrj9 »

The stator (wipac) on my 1965 G3 CSR has failed. Can this be substituted with a Lucas item such as RM 21 and will the original rotor be compatible. It currently is a 12 volt 3 wire set up. Help appreciate as new to the Matchless world.
Richard
Red Gauntlet

Re: Alternator stator replacement G2 CSR

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Hi Richard, You can it all fits fine, no need to replace the rotor there is no difference between the rotors that I have seen. I did a 12v conversion earlier this year, while you are there you might as well put electronic ignition too, like night and day on performance.
brownrj9

Post by brownrj9 »

Thanks for info, however the Wipac is 3 wire and all the Lucas ones i can find are 2 wire. How do i get round this?

Richard
Groily

Post by Groily »

We'd really need more info on what you are starting from to be very specific, but I think it would help you to look at the schematic prepared by mickeydippin in the recent thread Wiring Loom: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29388
This is a good generic solution for any permanent magnet single phase alternator system, as found on dozens of machines of the era.

There are various ways of going 12v on Lightweights, some are more complicated than others, some use the WIPAC three wire and a 3 phase rectifier (which won't help you here as your stator died) and there are always options using a zener diode etc etc. For one discussion on lightweight conversion to 12v, see https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/AJS-Matchl ... ion/117790 - but don't get tied up in the three wire bit unless you find another WIPAC stator and want to go that way.

I think your best 12v option is the Lucas two wire stator coupled to an A Reg 1 unit , wired up up per mickeydippin's schematic, but making allowance for your having (I think) two switches, lights and ignition, not a single combined one.
On that issue, the non-charging-related parts of the diagram in the same thread supplied by jack stringer for his 6v machine may be your friend if your switches are like those, alongside info in the various Matchless books of words). The switches will work the same as they do now, except you'd lose Emergency Ignition with the 2 wire stator and there is less spaghetti hanging off them with the simpler charging system.
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Connect the orange wire and green wire together and connect to one side of the 2 wire alternator, the white wire to the other, use an A reg from Paul G and away you go. If you already have a regulator pack then just do the first bit.
brownrj9

Post by brownrj9 »

Thanks for further info gentlemen. As the G2 is already 12 volt, converted by previous owner, it appears i just need to replace failed Wipac unit with a two wire Lucas unit and wire it in as per your instructions.
Thanks every body for the help
Richard