Clutch Basket shock absorber 1966 model year

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Dubbsy

Clutch Basket shock absorber 1966 model year

Post by Dubbsy »

Hi, I've rebuilt my gearbox on the 66' CSR, then noticed my clutch basket had quite an oblique wobble during reassemble , this obviously affected the duplex chain tension, going tight, then slack.
At the rear of the basket I removed the 3 screws and found the horror of a mess, I .e all the rubbers disintegrated. I can't seem to find what I need to do to resolve this. The early rubbers ( pre duplex) look totally different. Any help is greatly appreciated. See pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red Gauntlet

Re: Clutch Basket shock absorber 1966 model year

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Hi Dubbsy, I think you will find that the rubbers have just melted into the gap behind the centre vane, the rubbers will be the same as the single chain clutch on the inside, this is very common, you will need a piece of scaffold, a clutch tool and an old shaft to swap them out. You need to undo the 3 screws on the front face of the clutch centre and remove the plate, you are then presented with the clutch shock absorber spider, the rubbers need to be replaced in there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Many thanks Red Gauntlet, I have a spare gearbox shaft..phew. so do I need to just order the 3 small and 3 large rubber dampers?. Is there a procedure in any of the manuals / archives to show the replacement and Ness tools, you mention a clutch tool?. Thanks for the help & advice.
Groily

Post by Groily »

The 'clutch tool' might look like the one in the link to a recent thread on here. You need it or similar, although a gorilla might be able to do it without! The pic is what I use for a 650 twin, but the idea's the same.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29239
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Yes you will need the 3 small and 3 large rubbers, this vid will give you an idea on how to do the job, it is for a Triumph but basically the same: