another rear stand question.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Wayne Cole

another rear stand question.

Post by Wayne Cole »

I luckily found a rear stand, then found a vintage spring, then the bolts. my question is that I can't actually see anything on my bike that would hold stand in place when down, I can't see where it would rest on the bike, is there another part missing?
20220829_165835.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: another rear stand question.

Post by clive »

Wayne you had better put up a photo of the stand you have, there should be an arm on either side which impacts on the slightly oval area about 2 inches forward of the hinge point. Here is a photo of the correct stand https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=24448.
to my eyes there is something strange about the lug for your stand but it may be imagination. I will put up a photo of mine although the frame is earlier, the rear section is 1949 I think.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:13 am Wayne you had better put up a photo of the stand you have, there should be an arm on either side which impacts on the slightly oval area about 2 inches forward of the hinge point. Here is a photo of the correct stand https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=24448.
to my eyes there is something strange about the lug for your stand but it may be imagination. I will put up a photo of mine although the frame is earlier, the rear section is 1949 I think.
here ya go mate
s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:13 am Wayne you had better put up a photo of the stand you have, there should be an arm on either side which impacts on the slightly oval area about 2 inches forward of the hinge point. Here is a photo of the correct stand https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=24448.
other side of my bike
20220907_151657.jpg
clive

Post by clive »

Here is my frame with the stand down. The mounting point on yours looks like its boklted on but as i say it may be imagination.
Finally you have posted this in "frequent questions" please read the explanation before using this area of the forum. Whilst you questions are frequent they do not meet the criteria. ;) I am moving it all to G3 where it should be.
20221001_101123.jpg
clive
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:31 am Here is my frame with the stand down. The mounting point on yours looks like its boklted on but as i say it may be imagination.
Finally you have posted this in "frequent questions" please read the explanation before using this area of the forum. Whilst you questions are frequent they do not meet the criteria. ;) I am moving it all to G3 where it should be. 20221001_101123.jpg
I don't know my rear hole from my elbow sometimes mate sorry about that.
clive

Post by clive »

Wayne closer inspection of the photos and your rear section looks correct both sides but what appears to be a stud on one side should be a threaded hole. This allows a special plain shanked bolt to be fitted which can be tightened up to the frame and then a nut fitted to lock it in place. This allows the stand to hinge around the bolt.
https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=24448
clive
clive

Post by clive »

Mine is bodged as the thread is worn out and I have fitted the bolt the other way round and centre punched the thread to stop the nut undoing. Its been like that so long I forgot I had done it! The other side is correctly fitted.
clive
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:54 am Mine is bodged as the thread is worn out and I have fitted the bolt the other way round and centre punched the thread to stop the nut undoing. Its been like that so long I forgot I had done it! The other side is correctly fitted.
looks like it's always been this way
20221001_121024.jpg
20221001_120925.jpg