What’s missing?

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
The-Pope

Re: What’s missing?

Post by The-Pope »

Steven S wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:32 am The correct setup is as illustrated in the original drawing from the Owners Manual you posted. The parts for 1956 should be a 022504 crosshead and 022596 bolt. The spares list confusingly shows a picture of the earlier type eyebolt. The factory made the switch to an adjuster setup inboard of the engine plates in 1956 because the frame change of that year allowed enough space to tuck it away inside.

Those parts are available from other AJS & Matchless suppliers.

Steven

Hi Steven. I have the earlier (Burman) box through so think I need the eyebolt set up as Poul posted. I have tried to arrange the adjust I have with the Burman box and it just doesn’t seem to line up at the correct angle to do it’s job as the Burman box doesn’t have the alloy cut out. I’ll give AMC classic spares a call to try and get the proper eye bolt and liger bolt through the top mounting.
Thanks again
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Hi Steven, yes you are correct about the parts list and the picture in the manual. I got and unrestored 1956 model 20, and it had the outside system fitted, and there was no cut out for the inboard system, later I found a burman gear box with the cut out, but found the outside system easier to use, on my 1958 G11CS I have to take the battery carrier of if I want to adjust the primary chain with the inside system, so also on this bike I have fitted the outside system, maybe not correct but user friendly. I have read in the manual, but it give no sense for me, how can you slacken the primary chain by pulling the rear chain, I do not understand.
Poul
Primary Chain.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The-Pope wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:58 pm
Steven S wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:32 am The correct setup is as illustrated in the original drawing from the Owners Manual you posted. The parts for 1956 should be a 022504 crosshead and 022596 bolt. The spares list confusingly shows a picture of the earlier type eyebolt. The factory made the switch to an adjuster setup inboard of the engine plates in 1956 because the frame change of that year allowed enough space to tuck it away inside.

Those parts are available from other AJS & Matchless suppliers.

Steven

Hi Steven. I have the earlier (Burman) box through so think I need the eyebolt set up as Poul posted. I have tried to arrange the adjust I have with the Burman box and it just doesn’t seem to line up at the correct angle to do it’s job as the Burman box doesn’t have the alloy cut out. I’ll give AMC classic spares a call to try and get the proper eye bolt and liger bolt through the top mounting.
Thanks again
Thanks Steven, I've learnt something I would never have guessed, I'd always assumed the change was 1957 with the AMC gearbox.

John, You may be able to use the parts you have to hand if you can persuade the cross bolt to move.
The-Pope

Post by The-Pope »

I will adapt it to use the eyebolt system I think. When I have time. It seems a better way of doing it. Looks like the bolt needed is 5 inch. Just a pain getting all the primary off to do it😡
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

You can use topbolt 010957 5 3/16" x 7/16 by 26tpi
Poul