BATTERY FOR AJS 16MS (1956)

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
PhilAshton

BATTERY FOR AJS 16MS (1956)

Post by PhilAshton »

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me the make and 'spec/ model' of 6v battery in their 16MS's (please)?

The battery that came with my bike is dead (Platinum B38 6a). I also wish to reuse the rubber battery box too.

The issue is this... Replacement batteries that fit the length and width of the existing rubber battery box are all slightly too tall to fit into the battery aperture on the bike.

Thank you.

Phil
REW

Re: BATTERY FOR AJS 16MS (1956)

Post by REW »

Slightly puzzled... I thought the rubber battery "boxes" were dummy versions of a standard Lucas 6v battery from the '50s and hence should fit. A battery to go inside the dummy rubber box might be one of these: https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... ing=&A-8=6
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

the replacement boxes are thinner construction than a standard box that has been hollowed out , perhaps thats the problem
PhilAshton

Post by PhilAshton »

Hi.

I've attached a photo of the rubber battery box and the battery that's in it. Hopefully it's visible to you.

There's no problem getting a battery of correct length and width to fit the rubber box. The issue is that I can't find batteries of the same height as replacements are too tall and would foul the top of the battery space housing/ clasp. Hence my enquiring about what other owners have for their batteries so I can research if they'd fit the rubber box (which I wish to retain) and housing.

Thanks

Phil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums Phil.
I have what ssems to be the same box. Can't be sure as I'm away in France touring in my motorhome, but I have a 6v Cyclon battery in mine, supplied by Burlen. Check the dims on the Burlen website.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

this is the battery that i use , its a AGM battery and ive been using for years

https://www.allbatteries.co.uk/searchen ... ?q=6v+14ah

I can see you have a lead acid battery , and you are right they don't exist anymore to fit in the battery , you have to go for the one i have shown