Condenser

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
bike63

Condenser

Post by bike63 »

Hi, just bought a new condenser from the club. On the one I'm removing, and as shown in the wiring diagram, there is only one wire going to the points it being earthed through it's body. The new unit has two wires instead of of one ..... can anybody enlighten me please ?
Cheers,
John
Groily

Re: Condenser

Post by Groily »

Dunno the part in question exactly, but I assume that it's one wire to points, t'other to earth - and doesn't matter which way. (Shouldn't be polarity sensitive - as a rule.)
The metal body is presumably not connected to the guts, so that's why it doesn't provide an earth by screwing it on like many old ones did.
If you have a meter that measures capacitance, stick it across the leads. You'd probably see about 0.22 micro-farad. If you stick the probes from either wire-off to the body of the thing, you'll see nothing if that's the case. That would prove the 'live / earth' thing.
bike63

Post by bike63 »

Thanks Groily, but what I didn't mention was that the two wires emerge from the same soldered joint, so does what you're suggesting still apply ?
Cheers,
John
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Just clip off one wire, it is designed for more than one application, the body is ground.
Groily

Post by Groily »

bike63 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:04 pm Thanks Groily, but what I didn't mention was that the two wires emerge from the same soldered joint, so does what you're suggesting still apply ?
Cheers,
John
Um, No! As per Red G's comment! Must be designed for twin points to save doubling up on capacitors . . . Which is quite sensible in fact . . .
bike63

Post by bike63 »

Thanks Red G./Groily, that makes sense.