Rear chainwheel retaining bolts

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Red Gauntlet

Rear chainwheel retaining bolts

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Are the rear chainwheel retaining shouldered bolts 043292 available anywhere, just shed a few on the way home today and I don't have any more left.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Rear chainwheel retaining bolts

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Where have you tried?
Russell Motors and AMC Classic Spares have a reasonable range of L/W parts.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
KRM

Post by KRM »

I have a few old ones with the nyloc nuts in my bits and bobs tin. You are welcome to them. They aren’t great and I replaced them with some I found in nookys nuts ; I think .

I’ve a handful of suspects together with the ones that came off the bike. I’ll have a look tomorrow and let you know which ones fitted.

However if you send me a PM with your address I’ll let you have the old ones which ought to get you by for a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roly

Post by roly »

villiers services. could be same as james sprocket bolts
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Thanks Roly, Villiers look good for a number of items, pity the rear sprockets are only 5" for James and FB. anyway I am being sent a couple but I will give them a go and report back. Cheers.
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

The new ones have arrived from Villiers, https://villiersservices.co.uk/index.ph ... cts_id=823 they look almost the same but the thread is not quite as long on the new one, I have not tried them yet, but I dare say with a washer they should fit. Old one left, new one right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KRM

Post by KRM »

I tried these on mine. I can’t quite remember exactly what the issue was but I think the length of the shoulder was too long and with a washer to take up the slack it was too short
Interested to hear if these worked on yours
roly

Post by roly »

I have tried a Villiers bolt in my G2 and found the shoulder too long a washer under bolt head should still leave room for the nut the james hub has clearance holes in flange .no thread.the bolts in my G2 have no shoulders at all
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

The shoulders are indeed too long, I think running a die up the thread another 1/8" should make them suitable. There is only just enough thread on the rear of the hub for a nut but I would not like to chance it.