Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
lawrence

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by lawrence »

quote:
can i ask what the cost of the conversion was, (not including cost of master cylinder)?
a bit to late to fit one to my ajay as i intend to sell it but i might like to fit one to my norton dommie.
tibsy

What Ajay have you got Tom?
tibsy

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by tibsy »

quote:
quote:
can i ask what the cost of the conversion was, (not including cost of master cylinder)?
a bit to late to fit one to my ajay as i intend to sell it but i might like to fit one to my norton dommie.
tibsy

What Ajay have you got Tom?

a 53 18s, its in the "for sale " adverts
Ramon518

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by Ramon518 »

I have the Saggers Hydraulic Front brake conversion fitted.
It most certainly prevented my Wife and I from smashing into a car that was signalling to turn off the roundabout which we were coasting up to, at the preceeding turnoff, only to change her mind and continue across our path unchecked.
Perhaps I should have waited until the entire road was clear - but then, who does??
Point is - the brake stopped us more or less "on the spot".
I cannot speak highly enough of Malcom's work ethics - like Lawrence I experienced a service that was skilfull, dedicated to my welfare and suprisingly cheap @£110.00 - certainly unexpected.
I pointed out that I had concerns about the strength of the inch & a quarter Forks and the existing brake Stay.
He took time to reassure me on both points although I have had a stonger brake stay fitted made out of stainless steel since, simply because a friend made one for me.
Malcolm Saggers is an amazing fellow - his car is a work of art - when I saw this article I had to join in his praise.
I commend his front TLS Hydraulic brake to all who are currently relying on the old wire operated single leading shoe gentle slowing mechanism (won't call it a brake)
Ray - 55 G80/S
moley

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by moley »

thanks ray. the brakeplate is at the Man's at the moment for the conversion! Although i spoke to him a couple of weeks ago and he was laid up ill ! Ray - what master cylinder did you use was it from a specific jap model? i have been looking and some of them are pretty awful looking ! ta andy
lawrence

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by lawrence »

Hi Andrew
A trip round a few breakers should yield a good looking one. Most of the jap ones from the 80's and 90's were nice solid alloy affairs and although usually covered in grunga and corrosion would polish up a treat. The new ones seem to be all plastic pots which, I agree, are not very attractive. Ok, they are extremely ugly!
moley

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by moley »

Well i have received the hub and brakeplate back today - Gosh what a lovely job - i didnt realise it uses two cylinders in the hub that must push both the shoesevenly to the drum - Blimey i cant wait, however i must since the frame is at the painters (and has been for a couple of months)... Malcolm was talking about the hydraulic clutch conversion Can anyone recommend or otherwise? regards andy
lawrence

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by lawrence »

Is Malcolm fitting it for you Moley?
moley

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by moley »

Yes Lawrence he will be when theres something to fit to !
lawrence

Saggers Hydraulic Brake

Post by lawrence »

That's good. He knows his stuff does Malcolm. He will probably introduce you to Planet Rock too!