Rear Shocks Model 14 CSR 250

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Mark Tyler

Rear Shocks Model 14 CSR 250

Post by Mark Tyler »

Hi, I'm trying to find a pair of after market rear shocks for my CSR 250. (14&3/4 inches long). Does anyone know of a supplier or where I can get the original ones refurbished?
clanger9

Re: Rear Shocks Model 14 CSR 250

Post by clanger9 »

How bad are your existing ones? If the oil has stayed in, they are surprisingly easy to refurbish at home.
More here: http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22830

PS: you will struggle to find aftermarket shocks that look like the originals.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Mark Tyler

Post by Mark Tyler »

Thanks for the reply and link to the other posts... There appears to be oil in both shocks, just badly rusted... So as you advised I'll try and refurbish them. I did find replacement chrome and black covers from www.classicbikeshop.co.uk, just need to check the dimensions.
I did contemplate in trying BSA A50/ A65 13.4" shocks approx. 1&1/4" shorter if all else fails.
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

I got a pair made by Hagons for my 1961 G5 350 cc. They do not have the adjustment cam below the lower spring cover which the originals have. However, proper damping & the resulting safety & comfort trumps total originality for me because I re-build to ride not to display. If you have ever replaced original rear suspension units on an old Brit bike with new modern units, you will know what a huge difference it makes. It's a big ask to expect the rod & rubber seal of a 58 year old AMC damper to be good enough condition to function anywhere near properly. Hagons were very helpful & copied an original rear suspension unit which I sent to them. I'm sure they would do a 250 LWT rear suspension unit too if they were given one to copy. They will now know the dimensions & spec. for the 350 LWT units but the 250 LWT units will be a little different, I think, probably shorter for a start due to the 1" difference in wheel size.

Rod
Mark Tyler

Post by Mark Tyler »

Hello Rod, Thank-you for the info..... Luckily I came across and bought a pair of refurbished shocks, when picking up some other spares from a very helpful guy in Dorset. I'll definitely bear Hagons in mind, if I need any replacements in the future.
Cheers Mark.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Mark Tyler wrote:Hello Rod, Thank-you for the info..... Luckily I came across and bought a pair of refurbished shocks, when picking up some other spares from a very helpful guy in Dorset. I'll definitely bear Hagons in mind, if I need any replacements in the future.
Cheers Mark.
You were very very lucky to find a genuine pair!! they are rarer than rocking horse poo found on a flying cow jumping over a blue moon
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed