Crank case badge

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bob121

Crank case badge

Post by bob121 »

When I had the crank cases cleaned up on the aj (m31) I noticed a faint circle in the lhs case. I recently ordered some parts from the club and stumbled across engine badges and ordered one. Now, it's actually smaller than the circle in the casting. But there is no adhesive on the badge and it's quite a hefty badge. What is the best adhesive to use to ensure that it stays put. I have thought about having one made from a thinner material to the same size as the circle in the casting.
Mick D

Re: Crank case badge

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think the repro ones are not per the original design. I ordered one to replace mine, which had some paint missing, but as you say is a lot heavier gauge than the original. I kept the original in place.
I've seen originals? held in place by four centre pops.
As for adhesive - something flexible like 'Copydex' or 'Evostick' would be my recommendation.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just a thought, was the part no. correct for the twin. If not, you may have a lightweight badge, which may differ. If choosing a glue, perhaps the little tubes you can get to stick car interior mirrors to the windscreen will do the job.
clive

Post by clive »

The earlier cases which had the badge fitted had a recess for it. My twin has later cases supplied without the badge but with a faint echo of the recess but flush. I suspect this was caused by using a wood plug in the pattern for casting the case. Perhaps it was end grain on instead of along the grain.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

The model 31 cases from 59 do not show the badge in the parts list illustration.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
bob121

Post by bob121 »

I suspect that this never did have a badge. I may have a thinner gauge one made that matches the diameter of the marking in the casting. I think it adds just enough colour to an all black bike. Thank you for the responses, gives me something to mull over.
REW

Post by REW »

I would use epoxy to glue the badge in place, btw.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.