1960 g12 rear suspension

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
moley

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by moley »

I have taken the rear girlings covers and springs off (1960 G12)

Can this type be reconditioned internally or are they sealed ?

I cannot see a way inside !

Regards

Andy
Eric

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by Eric »

They are totally sealed and were never intended to be overhauled. There was someone who used offer a service that refilled them. I think this was done by drilling them to drain and refill and then plugging the hole again afterwards. I have no idea how succesful this was and I cannot find a recent advert.
lawrence

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by lawrence »

Guaranteed for a 'same day as fitting' MOT pass apparently, and that was all. Hagons do replacements and their service is excellent.Edited by - lawrence on 14 Mar 2006 10:06:44 PM
Duncan

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by Duncan »

My Girlings had been refilled by the method stated but once the seals have expired they were only fit for preventing the swinging arm from rusting. I eventually fitted Hagon shocks as I wanted the preload adjustment but quality comes at a price, if you can live without adjustable preload the body of NJB shocks is apparently thick enough to take a thread once you have cut the bottom eye off and comes in at half the cost if you can do your own engineering.
moley

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by moley »

Hi Duncan Could i be cheeky and ask what you paid for the Hagons ? also i presume they just screw on to the alloy lump at the bottom of the originals ? regards andy
Eric

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by Eric »

The Hagon Website www.hagon-shocks.co.uk list them as £155.00 per pair without the yokes so you will still have the problem of getting them off the old units. Unless the spares scheme are stocking them as new now I have not checked.
Steve Martin

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by Steve Martin »

Hello Andrew. I've just taken about 10 minutes to remove a Girling lower yoke, and some of that was finding the bits! You need a big vice, a simple gas blow-torch, and a piece of bar, about a foot, or 18" long by about 7/8", 20mm, or whatever will fit closely in the big holes once the rubbers are removed. I'd advise you not to try a piece of strip in the yoke slot, in case it snaps. After about 5 or 6 minutes of gentle heating you should see oil start to bubble from the threads, whereupon appropriate force on the bar should get it turning.

Do remember that the item will remain very hot for some time after dis-assembly!

I now have two very cool yokes, one near perfect and polished, the other just clean and with a small dent/scrape, about 4mm across, for sale if anyone is interested. Come back on private e-mail.

Cheers Steve.
lawrence

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by lawrence »

£155 is possibly the current price. I am fairly sure I paid £185 for mine but that probably includes the shrouds which are extra so unless you want to look like a cheap Triumph copy (and lets face it, who does) you need those as well. The original ones do not fit.

I cannot speak highly enough of Hagon's service. they are outstanding.

Steve has exactly described the process for removing the lower yokes. i soaked mine in WD40 overnight and used a hot air gun (I now use it whenever I used to use a blowtorch, not so exciting but a lot more convenient) and they came off really easily despite the fact that they seemed totally seized before application of heat.
Duncan

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by Duncan »

Moley

It was nearly two years ago that I brought mine, but as Lawrence says I believe that the Website cost is for unshrouded shocks only so you will have to add another £30 for the covers, I was also told that the Girling units are not compatible but you will need to check if that is still the case.

At the time the NJB shocks had a choice of 3 preloads by positioning a circlip in a grove before the spring goes on, but they would require dismantling and the circlip repositioning to select another, NJB is usually in the end shed at Kempton so if you are headed that way on Saturday take the old one with you and see what he has got (about £80 I think).

My yokes came off easily but then they were soaked in oil.
Edited by - Duncan on 15 Mar 2006 8:44:52 PM
moley

1960 g12 rear suspension

Post by moley »

Hagon just got back to me 155 unshrouded 197 shrouded. Getting a cheque of to them this weekend.. ta for your help.