G12 POST 1960 HEADS

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
moley

G12 POST 1960 HEADS

Post by moley »

I AM PUTTING NEW GUIDES IN MY HEADS - I HAEV FOUND A LITTLE INSERT AROUND THE GUIDES... SO ONCE I HAVE TAKEN OUT THE VALVE GUIDE IT LEAVES THIS LITTLE INSERT IN - IS THIS ORGINAL I DO NOT RECALL SEEING THIS BEFORE ! ERGARDS ANDY (PS SORRY FOR SHOUTING)
lawrence

G12 POST 1960 HEADS

Post by lawrence »

Hi Andy
I presume you mean the circlip? This is to prevent the guide falling into the head when the motor is running. Early models didn't have it.

Or, on second thoughts do you mean the valve spring seat?Edited by - lawrence on 18 Feb 2006 7:06:40 PM
moley

G12 POST 1960 HEADS

Post by moley »

Hi Lawrence no neither of them. these is a little insert in the head where the guide site ie its approx 1.5" long and the guide sits in it ?
laxy

G12 POST 1960 HEADS

Post by laxy »

It sounds as if someone has repaired the head by fitting a sleeve in the same way as a sleeve is fitted to a barrel to return the bore back to standard size.Ally heads should allways be heated before removing guides to prevent damage to the head.
Iwould have thought a better option would be to fit guids with a larger outside diameter.
are these {inserts} fitted to all four valve guide holes?
moley

G12 POST 1960 HEADS

Post by moley »

Yes i wondered myself if this would be the case.. the inserts are in three of the holes but not in the last hole BUT it is posssibly it was on the guide when i threw away.. it looks like i need to ask someone to make me aup an insert before i can proceed. thankyou
paul knapp

G12 POST 1960 HEADS

Post by paul knapp »

G'day Andy, there's a lesson to be learned here!.......throw nothin' away!... Particularly old bike bits.
Just look in my shed to see what I mean
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

lawrence

G12 POST 1960 HEADS

Post by lawrence »

Paul's right there. it is amazing how worn out bits can be recycled for other uses