Gearbox adjuster

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
ajsph
Member
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: DENMARK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by ajsph »

DSC01460.jpg
DSC01464.jpg
Here you have 2 pictures of the system on my G11CS

Poul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ib-Denmark
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1998 12:00 am
Location: FYN DENMARK
Contact:

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by Ib-Denmark »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Or you can leave the rear wheel as is and just press down on the secondary chain lower run.

Regards Mick
To make sure the primary chain is not getting too hard tensioned I always, as the last thing to do, (before closing the primary box) put in my foot over the lower secondary chain and press it down with all my weight ;)
Ib
User avatar
Rob Harknett
Member
Posts: 11043
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: ESSEX UK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by Rob Harknett »

The pictures that show the adjuster is all correct. Which I am sure I have used to tighten and loosen tension. I was a bit puzzled why you said it only worked one way. As I had never had problems adjust the primary chain. It will not move both ways, if you have not first loosened off the rear chain.
bob121
Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: WEST MIDLANDS UK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by bob121 »

Rob Harknett wrote:The pictures that show the adjuster is all correct. Which I am sure I have used to tighten and loosen tension. I was a bit puzzled why you said it only worked one way. As I had never had problems adjust the primary chain. It will not move both ways, if you have not first loosened off the rear chain.
I don't have what's in the photos. Mine is mounted to the inside of the lhs engine plate and only pushes against the box. Only moves it forward. But I may as well work out the part numbers and fit what's in the photos. Thank you.
User avatar
Rob Harknett
Member
Posts: 11043
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: ESSEX UK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by Rob Harknett »

ah that explains, if correct parts are fitted tighten the rear lock nut, will tighten the primary chain. Un doing the front nut will loosen the primary chain.
ajsph
Member
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: DENMARK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by ajsph »

the adjuster inside the engine plates is correct for the standard model, the system in the pictures is for the CS model, but can be used on the standard models.
Poul
User avatar
Rob Harknett
Member
Posts: 11043
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: ESSEX UK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by Rob Harknett »

I relate better to singles Paul. The adjuster pictured looks like that which is used on singles for many years. Pre and post war. I have a 63 twin CSR but cannot recall what that has. Perhaps the centre type I am not aware of and I have not seen it.
MalcW
Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: DEVON UK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by MalcW »

bob121 wrote: I don't have what's in the photos. Mine is mounted to the inside of the lhs engine plate and only pushes against the box. Only moves it forward. But I may as well work out the part numbers and fit what's in the photos. Thank you.
My 1960 D/L is like that.

Malc
User avatar
1608
Member
Posts: 2399
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:00 am
Location: ESSEX UK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by 1608 »

My 1960 D/L G12 has the adjuster shown in the photo that moves the box to and fro. I believe that is the standard one.
User avatar
ajscomboman
Member
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: HAMPSHIRE UK

Re: Gearbox adjuster

Post by ajscomboman »

1608 wrote:My 1960 D/L G12 has the adjuster shown in the photo that moves the box to and fro. I believe that is the standard one.
Afraid not, the adjuster for a 60 G12 will be an inside fit on the drive side engine plate and will be only on that side with a long headed bolt which engages into a recess on the gearbox.
Post Reply