Lazy front forks on 1959 g12

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
billy mcknight

Post by billy mcknight »

The front forks on my matchless g12 1959 have always been on the soft side I have tried different oils but this does not solve the problem. On stripping down the forks last week I find one spring 12 inches long and the other 11.5 inches. I notice in the spares catologue you can still purchase sidecar rated springs which are longer and heavier gauge spring steel, do you think they would solve the lazy fork problem, I am 14 stone and ride solo, yes I need to go on a diet.
laxy

Post by laxy »

Hi Billy, I would definately change the springs to the length specified in your manual.
Wether you go for sidecar rated springs is your choice but both springs must be the same gauge/length.Use oil as recommended in manual.
Cheers, Keith.
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

Billy,
I had exactly the same problem on my 1956 G80. I bought the sidecar springs from the spares scheme and they work very well (I too have a heavy bone structure!). They add just the right amount of stiffness, without being too harsh.

When you experiment with fork oils, note that the quantity of oil makes a lot more difference than going from one viscosity to another. Try and add a bit of oil to each fork, and you should feel a change towards heavier damping. If you add too much they will can go very hard indeed, but you will find out!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

quote:
When you experiment with fork oils, note that the quantity of oil makes a lot more difference than going from one viscosity to another. Try and add a bit of oil to each fork, and you should feel a change towards heavier damping. If you add too much they will can go very hard indeed, but you will find out!

Quite right. I've also found air temperature makes a lot of difference. I changed my fork oil a couple of weeks ago to Motul 20W-30 fork oil. Ride was much more compliant than it had been (I won't tell you what I had had in them). However, now the temperature in the SE UK has dropped 10 deg, they feel much harder again.
Charles