National Rally 2005

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
lawrence

National Rally 2005

Post by lawrence »

Maybe I need a 'bought restoration' [:(] Oh, now I think about it that was what the Triumph was. looked great, was f........ u......... No Loctite, lock washers, sealant etc. etc. Definitely not built to ride![:(] Goes lovely now though and I only had to spend as much again on it[:(][:(]

Lawrence [}:)]
itma

National Rally 2005

Post by itma »

I back Janet on this one, whats the point of a navigation test when its all won on technology: far too many of these events fail to provide for or acknowledge the hardy souls who do them on proper bikes; as for a hillstart test on a button start bike, should`nt they have done that on the basic training? No test of skill that, everybody wins that one, back to Alans deferred success?
Alan, all your points acknowledged,and agreed with, but whats the difference between a "bought" restoration done to a budget and an owner restoration who subs out every thing regardless of cost?
Janet

National Rally 2005

Post by Janet »

quote:Originally posted by Alan Jacobs

if I was unable to accept the Judges decisions it was time I withdrew from these events.
And that's precisely why I haven't lodged a complaint to the organisers. Rules is rules, even if they do discriminate. To be honest, I think the slow speed control tests are unfair to the sports bike riders who seem to have such difficulty with them and as for those who don't know their road signs................[}:)]

Er, what's this word 'restoration'? Is that when you pull the forks straight before riding off, having stuffed it into a wall? Well, that's what I do. [:I][:o)]
bjork

National Rally 2005

Post by bjork »

as for those who don't know their road signs?- that must be me then! I got one wrong- the red circle with plain white background. I was waffling about plates underneath telling you which categories are excluded! serves me right for feeling a bit too confident I suppose.
And about all those modern bike riders having an easy time of it with the hill tests? I watched a couple before I took my turn, and there were a few eyebrows raised, just like the slalom and slow speed tests, many of them couldn't really co-ordinate or even just ride slowly! The trial test Janet, did you watch any of that? some of the attempts at that were amusing too. They didn't take any notice of the advice given by the trials bike owner at all. With the rigmarole involved in starting your bike you would have found it quite easy I reckon. I guess the point is that basic machine control and balance was noticably lacking with many of the entrants, some great bikes-just needing a rider with a bit of (as opposed to hardly any) experience. As for winning it with technology, Janet would have got platinum if she hadn't taken a wrong turn in Leicester. The other members of my team rode a Norton Commando and a Sunbeam S8+sidecar, so not too much technology there either. Especially the Norton.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Janet

National Rally 2005

Post by Janet »

quote:Originally posted by Steve Brown

as for those who don't know their road signs?- that must be me then! I got one wrong- the red circle with plain white background. I was waffling about plates underneath telling you which categories are excluded! serves me right for feeling a bit too confident I suppose.
And about all those modern bike riders having an easy time of it with the hill tests? I watched a couple before I took my turn, and there were a few eyebrows raised, just like the slalom and slow speed tests, many of them couldn't really co-ordinate or even just ride slowly! The trial test Janet, did you watch any of that? some of the attempts at that were amusing too. They didn't take any notice of the advice given by the trials bike owner at all. With the rigmarole involved in starting your bike you would have found it quite easy I reckon. I guess the point is that basic machine control and balance was noticably lacking with many of the entrants, some great bikes-just needing a rider with a bit of (as opposed to hardly any) experience. As for winning it with technology, Janet would have got platinum if she hadn't taken a wrong turn in Leicester. The other members of my team rode a Norton Commando and a Sunbeam S8+sidecar, so not too much technology there either. Especially the Norton.

I was thinking more of the policemen who didn't know all their road signs.

Of course technology wins it. Think of all those uppy downy piston things (or in my case, inny outy ones ) which make pops and bangs. That's technology isn't it? It's just some people's technology is a bit more advanced than others.

I think it comes as a bit of a shock to some riders when they have to do these tests, especially if they're used to rushing around on fast roads. They often over-estimate their average speeds too, so don't finish as soon as they think, even without getting lost. At least we have a more realistic assessment of our speed and our abilities.

This was going to be Nellie's last year at the Nationals, but I feel I've got to let her have go at another platinum as the fault in getting lost was mine, not hers. And I still haven't seen Fred's famous trousers. [:D]

itma

National Rally 2005

Post by itma »

....so thats Nellie the L E fant then? god thats witty[:o)]
Janet

National Rally 2005

Post by Janet »

Yep, that's the little sweetie. [:)]