Swing arm bushes

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Barry Pardey

Swing arm bushes

Post by Barry Pardey »

Hi,
I am about to re-paint my 1955, 18S frame and am loath to disturb the swing arm bushes if I can get away with it. Can some one please advise what is an acceptable end play on the swing arm joint? This has no dicernable wear but does have some end play.
ALSO, I have in front of me a brochure extolling the virtues of VESCONITE as a bushing material, suitable for marine, underwater etc. they calim to be superior to bronze, gunmetal etc. Has anyone tried these hi-tech plastics and are they suitable? ( importing from UK is v. expensive for small parts alone)
Cheers
Bill Pardey

Biscuit
Deceased

Swing arm bushes

Post by Biscuit »

Like me, you have probably searched the manuals for this information and found nothing. I would suggest that the endplay should be nil.

Fred-AJS

Swing arm bushes

Post by Fred-AJS »

Hallo Bill

The endplay should be nil. That can be achieved by pressing home the steel bushes that are holding the bronze bushes . There is a drawing of the construction on a Dutch web site.
I will also send you a picture of the “Tool” , It’s just a strong bold with two thick washers with the size of the steel bushes. It can take a lot of force to do this, so use a bold with fine thread.

I hope this will help, Greetings Fred

http://www.ajsmatchless.nl/assets/images/achterbrug.gif

Chazzyb

Swing arm bushes

Post by Chazzyb »

Brilliant! My swing arm, while not worn, has about 25 thou end float at the bearing. This will help when (if) I finally tackle it.

Charles
lawrence

Swing arm bushes

Post by lawrence »

Just to cheer you all up, I have had to remove the swinging fork on my Bonnie tonight. They are so easy compared to the Ajays. Just whip off two engine plates, undo two nuts and you are there.

If only the previous owner hadn't had it powder coated over the bushes I might have been able to get them out as well [:(] [:(]

Lawrence [}:)]
itma

Swing arm bushes

Post by itma »

Lawrence, what year T120? I may have a tip
lawrence

Swing arm bushes

Post by lawrence »

1970. It is the later style of swing arm fitting. I took it to a mechanic yesterday as I don't have a soft metal drift to fit and didn't want to do damage getting the bushes out. I have a bad history with (Ajay) swinging arm bushes [:(]

Lawrence [}:)]
Barry Pardey

Swing arm bushes

Post by Barry Pardey »

Thanks for the feeback all.
I shall try the fine thread bolt trick.
Cheers
Bill Pardey