Twin Magneto Points

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Barry Plumb

Twin Magneto Points

Post by Barry Plumb »

I used a short piece of Selotape (with the glue removed by wiping it with a petrol soaked rag) to time the K2F mag on my Model 30. A bit crude but it is about the thinnest material of any strength I can find. I used to use a fag paper in my youth but I gave up smoking years ago.

There is an electronic box of tricks which can be used to time mags. These are normally used to time aircraft magnetos. Aircraft engines have two mags and dual ignition systems, and it is important to get them synchronised. The box of tricks has three leads from it which are connected one to earth, one to the left mag low tension lead and one to the right mag low tension lead. When the left mag points open a red light glows on the box and a buzzer sounds, when the right mag points open a green light glows and the beeper sounds. With both open at the same time both lights are on and the sound chages to a mix of buzz and beep (if such a thing exists). Sounds blooming complicated but it works like a charm.

The boxes are called magneto synchronizers and are about £40 (so the fag paper method is a bit cheaper !!) and are available through light aircraft spares stockists.

Its about time one of our electronic boffins came up with a simple single mag version of this system at a reasonable cost.

Happy Landings

Barry Plumb

Don Madden

Twin Magneto Points

Post by Don Madden »

The circuit you found is not due to the condenser but the primary winding of the mag. On a mag, the contacts short out the windings, which always have a complete circuit to allow maximum induced current to flow when the contacts open.

lawrence

Twin Magneto Points

Post by lawrence »

Welcome to the site Donald. Stick around, we could do with a few more boffins.

Lawrence [}:)]
Tolly

Twin Magneto Points

Post by Tolly »

Yes, welcome Don I agree with Lawrence. While I'm on the subject, can I congratulate you Lawrence on the over 500 club, I don't know where you get the time, you must have been on this site for donkey's years or be retired. [:D]

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Colin F

Twin Magneto Points

Post by Colin F »

quote:Originally posted by Michael Tolhurst

While I'm on the subject, can I congratulate you Lawrence on the over 500 club, I don't know where you get the time, you must have been on this site for donkey's years or be retired. [:D]

He cheats!!![}:)] mutiple postings[V] if you repost 2 or 3 times the same reply goes up and your count increases!!
To be honest if only sensible posts were counted he would still be a teen! But we would not have had so many laughs![:D][:D]

Cheer up Lawrence, I'm sure with a bit of adivce from Jim your twin will be back on the road in time for the Jampot[:)]
lawrence

Twin Magneto Points

Post by lawrence »

]quote:Originally posted by Michael Tolhurst

While I'm on the subject, can I congratulate you Lawrence on the over 500 club, I don't know where you get the time, you must have been on this site for donkey's years or be retired. [:D]

Crikey, that crept up on me![:I]

He cheats!!![}:)] mutiple postings[V] if you repost 2 or 3 times the same reply goes up and your count increases!!
[:D][:D]

There is a slander law you know Colin!![:D]

Cheer up Lawrence, I'm sure with a bit of adivce from Jim your twin will be back on the road in time for the Jampot[:)]
[/quote]

I hope so [:p]

Lawrence [}:)]
Marty

Twin Magneto Points

Post by Marty »

New Bloke here.
If you want to use a multimeter or DVM to find points opening, remove the central bolt that secures the points mounting plate. It is this that connects the points to the primary circuit. Measure between earth and the insulated part of the points
Marty Hewlett
New Zealand

pwaltham

Twin Magneto Points

Post by pwaltham »

Cheers Marty
New bloke or not, it's a good answer to my original question
Thanks
Peter

Rohan B.

Twin Magneto Points

Post by Rohan B. »

There are simpler (older) single magneto versions of the aircraft maggie timing lights. It treats one maggie at a time, and you simply align each maggie firing to a timing mark in turn.

The problem with most bike magnetos (unlike aircraft maggies) is that the coil and points rotate, so you can't just clip a wire to something suitable to be able to time it. They can be strobe timed of course, if you put a suitable mark on something near a rotating bit - or use a degree wheel.