Charging advice

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Paul G80

Charging advice

Post by Paul G80 »

When running my G80 with the lights on the lights dim to non existant as the engine returns to tickover. I have 6v at the battery at a raised tickover and the ammeter is at 0 when running with the lights on. This I believe indicates a balanced system. Should I be looking at the voltage regulator??? or should I remove the battery and give it a right good charge up.

I await the collective knowledge to wash over me.

bjork

Charging advice

Post by bjork »

As you have a voltmeter, check the voltage at tickover. If with the lights on the voltage is significantly lower than when the engine is running fast enough to produce a charge, then you have most likely have got a flat or duff battery. The battery when fully charged should keep the headlight on for a good few minutes at least! even without the engine running. If the battery is ok then you have a very heavy current drain with the lights switched on. 100w bulb maybe?? heated oversuit???
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bjork

Charging advice

Post by bjork »

Sorry, also forgot to say that you should start any testing with a fully charged battery. I wonder too if you have the original type regulator, whether the cutout is not opening at low speeds. I think this would then make the battery try to 'motor' or drive the dynamo. That would make the lights dim! If you don't cure it quickly try that nice Mr Al Osborne, and buy one of his brilliant solid state regulators.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Paul G80

Charging advice

Post by Paul G80 »

Thanks for that Steve.

I have put the battery on charge and overnight it only managed to raise to 4 volts from 2. So I really think my battery was the problem.

I try the other things later

Cheers