Frame HoleThread Type

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
pwaltham

Frame HoleThread Type

Post by pwaltham »

I have a 1960 model 31 with duplex frame.
The previous owner in his wisdom used a thinner nut and bolt to hold the engine 'head steady' bracket to the front of the frame.[:0]
I assume it originally used a bolt screwed into the threaded hole in the frame.
Does anyone know the correct thread pattern for this as the existing thread is somewhat chewed up by having this previous smaller bolt stuck through it and possibly not tightened up too well?
I want to run a tap thorugh to reistate the original thread, or at least get a correct bolt to screw in without tightening up after a few turns.
Thanks
Peter [:)]

Eric

Frame HoleThread Type

Post by Eric »

It should be cycle thread this is a special thread that was in general use throughout the cycle and motorcycle industry when our machines were made. Without checking I think the one you are looking at is 5/16" dia. It will have a thread pitch of 26 tpi as do almost all cycle threads. This was useful for manufacturers as it meant they could use the same die blocks for almost everything when using a Coventry die head some of you will know what I mean.

Charles

Frame HoleThread Type

Post by Charles »

My three duplex frames (1960 and 1961) all have 5/16 by 26 tpi for the head steadies, even the single that has the fixing under the tank is tapped that way on the lug used on a twin.

regards
Charles
lawrence

Frame HoleThread Type

Post by lawrence »

Yep, and mine. The 5/16" cycle tap has to be the most useful tap when rebulding an Ajay!

Lawrence [}:)]
Biscuit
Deceased

Frame HoleThread Type

Post by Biscuit »

Eric, I would disagree with you regarding using one set of chasers for 'almost every thing' in a single TPI range. For every diameter of thread the helix angle would differ. Certainly, manufacturers of die chasers for the Coventry and similar die heads specify different part numbers for varying thread diameters in the BSB range, which is also 26TPI.

pwaltham

Frame HoleThread Type

Post by pwaltham »

Gentlemen, thanks for the info, you are all saying the same, great.
I just need to find someone selling the tap mentioned (got lots of other sizes and tread types but not that one.........I'll put it on my Christmas list from the boss.......... list....who am I kidding!
Anyway, thanks again
Peter

lawrence

Frame HoleThread Type

Post by lawrence »

Hi Peter
I can heartily recommend Tracy Tools 01803 833134 www.TracyTools.com

They are very reasonable, 5/16 cycle tap is £2.00! They are also very friendly and exhibit at many shows, Stafford is the next one coming up and they carry a huge range of stock. tell them what you want it fo and they will advise you of the best type.

Lawrence [}:)]
pwaltham

Frame HoleThread Type

Post by pwaltham »

£2 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Everywhere else I've looked are more like £5 to £6, and they are like hen's teeth on ebay
Thanks for the info Lawrence and its nice to know you stopped your head leaking (bike that is)
Peter[:D]