AJS Comp Bikes

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
bjork

AJS Comp Bikes

Post by bjork »

Anyone confirm for me if AJS comp bikes of say 1951, would include the C in the engine no? As in 16MC. Same as Matchless, and would the frame number have any clues to differentiate from a standard model? Any pointers to help identify would be appreciated.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bluewater1150

AJS Comp Bikes

Post by bluewater1150 »

Steve, I did a bit of research before buying my 1960 16C, if my understanding is correct, the engine number starts with the year, followed by the type, followed by the serial number. Mine reads 60 16C 2148. The frame number again starts with the model type C 8974.
Some data I have goes back as far as 1946 giving all competition frame numbers. All taken from "AJS & MATCHLESS - The Postwar Models by Roy Bacon (1988 edition). If you don't/cant get a copy let me know I'll scan and e-mail them to you.

Regards
Elliot Smith

RogerNorman

AJS Comp Bikes

Post by RogerNorman »

Steve. The Frame and the Engine are prefixed with a C but as I am sure you know, the numbers don't match. The Club have the Factory Records for some Competition machines. 1951 is amongst the batch if my memory serves me right from my days as Dating Officer in the mid 80's. Pat Hughes would be able to confirm however. One easy way to check the frame (although not foolproof) is that the frame should not have any sidecar lugs attached but thats not always the case - there was a batch of road frames made for the Swedish Army in the early 60's without sidecar lugs also so beware.

brian

AJS Comp Bikes

Post by brian »

see if this would help

Marque codes - M = AJS, G = Matchless
(sometimes AJS machines are referred to as Model 16, 16, M16 or 16M, they are all the same thing!).

Model codes C = Competition
S = Originally 'Sprung', later 'Sports'
R = Road, except 7R
L = Light frame
DL = De Luxe

For example:

1949 G3LS - Matchless 350cc Light frame sprung model
1962 31CSR - AJS 650cc Competition Sports & Road (often called 'Coffee Shop Racer')
1966 G80CS - Matchless 500cc Competition Sports

There are a few things that nobody appears to know the answers to, for instance the meaning of CS or CSR - it depends a great deal on which book you read or which person you speak to.

CS = Competition and Sports
or Competition Sprung

CSR = Competition Sports Road
or Competition Sports Racing
or Coffe Shop Racer

bjork

AJS Comp Bikes

Post by bjork »

Evening all, thanks for your replies, they are all usefull. I asked the question on behalf of a friend who has no computer access. He will be grateful for your help, cheers!
I hereby promise a drink to each of you at the next Alternative!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today