Exhaust valve seat again G11CS

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
JEAN-NOEL

Re: Exhaust valve seat again G11CS

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi Clive,
I can recommend T & L Engineering, in Elstow (Bedford). They are helpfull, and their prices are friendly. I have dealed with Derrick. They advertise in Jampot Magazine.
clive

Post by clive »

Thanks for all the advice guys, our local section engineering genius has rotated the valve seat, under heat, and then pinned it through with a 4 BA screw. This is the fix he did on the other head. So for the time being this will be it. Unfortunately 5 days after my off road incident I decided to get my leg x-rayed, and 5 and a half hours in the local A and E and I am leaving with my leg in plaster due to a broken fibula. That's no driving and as the garage is 1.5 miles away I think the rebuild is going to have to go on hold for a while. :cry:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hope the break soon heals without further problems Clive. I seem to recall you once turning up at a Jampot rally years ago, with a whole leg in plaster. Now just you take care.
clive

Post by clive »

Well the leg is mended and so I thought was the engine, but I had only gone about a mile and the gasket blew in that gap between the two barrels. Hey ho that means redoing the whole reassembly. It was a single gasket I had which I thought was ok but obviously not, or I didn't crank the head down properly. Good job I am retired.
clive
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Got so fed up blowing gaskets on the CSR that I changed to solid copper with O rings around the oil-ways, touch wood all ok so far.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

ajscomboman wrote:Got so fed up blowing gaskets on the CSR that I changed to solid copper with O rings around the oil-ways, touch wood all ok so far.
But you must check them every 100 miles.
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Don't exaggerate, every 101 miles. :P
clive

Post by clive »

Well that's the gasket replaced and cranked down as per instructions from Mr President. I imagine I will be making a warranty claim against him if the gasket goes again. ;)
clive
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

No warranty, the only cover he offers is a layer of iron oxide and that doesn't apply to copper :rofl:

Rob C
clive

Post by clive »

So no warranty claim about 750 miles covered and no gasket problems. Drivers of undertaking cars that spill you down the road however have no such guarantee of no legal action, especially when you have a witness. 👽
clive