Power concern

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Rosy

Power concern

Post by Rosy »

I thinking of getting a new 125 Ajs, but I am a bit concerned about the power or lack of it. The last 125 I had was an Ossa Phantom that would bring tears to your eyes. I don't care about speed its the torque I like in a bike, I have in mind the Desert scrambler (I like getting Muddy) So I'm wondering what others think on the 125? and can they be derestricted for a bit more power?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Power concern

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Due to injury I had to buy a lightweight bike in order to continue riding. In 2016 I bought a new Honda CBF 125 (the 'Grudge Special') which I used locally and on a couple of French trips then subsequently rode to and toured Spain. 8,500 rpm at an indicated 65mph and a zillion gear changes through lack of torque drove me nuts. O.K. for club runs and a wander through the lanes. I changed it for a Chinese made Herald Classic 250 (the 'Mutchless') which is the same weight as the Honda 125 and a bit more flexible with regard to useful revs range.
If derestriction is possible you may get more power but I doubt that you'll get more torque for plodding through mud. Slow speed manoeuvring on my Honda 125 meant slipping the clutch to keep the revs (and power) up as if the revs dropped out of the narrow power band it just died.

This is the spec'n for the Ajay Desert Scrambler......................

Technical Details (Euro 5)

Engine type: 4-stroke, OHC, air cooled, single cylinder
Displacement: 124cm³
Bore x Stroke: 54 x 54mm
Compression Ratio: 10:1
Max. power: 7.33kW @ 9,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 9.5Nm @ 6,500 rpm

Tank capacity: 13L

Fuel type: Unleaded or E5 petrol

Transmission: five speed, chain drive
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Why don't you test ride one?
Dave.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

I might have to look into this a bit more, I'm sure my G9 has put on 20 kilos this last year, so it is going to be something light with the power of a 500 for about £2.5K.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

The 125s aren't restricted. The brands that use the suzuki gn/gs type 250s such as sinnis, herald etc. Are worth a look at. Those engines will probably do what you need. What a testament to that little Honda. Designed as a commuter and being dragged to and around parts of Europe.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

I've just posted my G9 in the adverts, so when and if it sells I will look into the other brands of lightweights. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy just looking and polishing the G9.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

bob121 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:24 am The brands that use the suzuki gn/gs type 250s such as sinnis, herald etc. Are worth a look at. Those engines will probably do what you need.
Yep, my Chinese Herald Classic 250 (the 'Mutchless') has the Suzuki GN250 engine. I've only ridden it about 5,000 miles but it has needed no attention at all, although some brackets, the hooter and the zorst pipe and silencer have begun to rust a bit. The bonus for me, as I've mentioned in my earlier post, is that it weighs only 287lbs (130kg), the same as the Honda 125. I believe the AJS 125 Scrambler weighs just a little less at 113kg.
I've posted this photo a few times but just for reference:
2016-05-21 Mutchless(480x360).jpg
Mutchless engine.JPG
The only problem I had with the Honda 125 which I thrashed from new was on the trip to Spain, (mostly flat out wherever possible at about 65mph). One very hot day (about 35 degs) it began to falter and stop. After I'd changed to a new plug that I had taken with me it went O.K. but after about ten miles it died again. I wondered if it was suffering fuel evaporation so removed as many bits of the engine fairings as possible after which I had no problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I bought a Tempest Scrambler in 2019, as Neville says you need to rev it, I changed the gearbox sprocket from 15 to 16, this lowered the revs and it will cruise at 50 to 55. If raved through the gears it will get up to 65 mph. No problems other than the rear brake master cylinder replaced under warranty. I also replace the headlamp bulb with an H4 60/55 watt.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Dud, I fitted a higher wattage bulb too, but I'm scared it will overheat the plastic lens, it feels very hot!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Alan, the lens is injection moulded, injection temperature about 300c, so up to now mine has not melted!