AJS Tempest Roadster

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
HaroldWeasels

AJS Tempest Roadster

Post by HaroldWeasels »

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a Tempest Roadster, 2020 model, with one previous owner. The engine is painted black but all the pictures I've been able to find, and others for sale, of the Tempest Roadster, have silver engines. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight in why this is the case? I've attached a picture for reference.Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
56G80S

Re: AJS Tempest Roadster

Post by 56G80S »

Previous owner?

JohnnyB
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If you put AJS Tempest in google they're nearly all black engines. On ebay they're a mixture.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forum.
The Tempest Scrambler has a black cylinder.

I cannot see any difference between the two except the colour and according to the spec'ns the Scrambler engine power is 7.4Kw @ 9000 rpm and the Roadster 7.1Kw @ 8500 rpm which is a negligible difference.

Idle thought...........

AJS and other distributors of Chinese bikes receive them mostly disassembled in crates and assemble them in-house. According to U.K. registration figures Chinese origin bikes enjoyed the greatest volume of sales in 2020 of any motorbike from any manufacturer. This is put down to a huge demand from the commuting public for 'safe' (i.e. virus-shielding) transportation. That demand, coupled with the virus slowing manufacture in China and shipping delays caused shortages.
It may be that AJS in the U.K. had a shortage of 'silver' engines for the Roadster(s) so fitted a black Scrambler engine.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
HaroldWeasels

Post by HaroldWeasels »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Welcome to the Forum.
The Tempest Scrambler has a black cylinder.

I cannot see any difference between the two except the colour and according to the spec'ns the Scrambler engine power is 7.4Kw @ 9000 rpm and the Roadster 7.1Kw @ 8500 rpm which is a negligible difference.

Idle thought...........

AJS and other distributors of Chinese bikes receive them mostly disassembled in crates and assemble them in-house. According to U.K. registration figures Chinese origin bikes enjoyed the greatest volume of sales in 2020 of any motorbike from any manufacturer. This is put down to a huge demand from the commuting public for 'safe' (i.e. virus-shielding) transportation. That demand, coupled with the virus slowing manufacture in China and shipping delays caused shortages.
It may be that AJS in the U.K. had a shortage of 'silver' engines for the Roadster(s) so fitted a black Scrambler engine.
Thank you, that's really helpful

I have the engine number. Is there any way I can look up to see if this is what they've done or any classification from the engine number that refers to it being a scrambler engine?

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

No records of the modern bikes are held by the club. I suggest you ask AJS by phone or email.
Are you just curious or do you have a specific reason to know why the engine's black?
The bike's only about a year old so I doubt that it has had a replacement engine but check that the number on the engine matches the details in the V5c.
HaroldWeasels

Post by HaroldWeasels »

I was just curious as the others I'd found for sale were all silver and wanted to know more about the bike I'd bought.

alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Bought my roadster new last november, it has a black engine! did not know there was a power difference?
Alan [Morini] Jennings
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Neville, I have to disagree with your statement that the AJS Tempest etc are assembled in the U.K., the only parts to fit are the handlebars and in the case of the Scrambler the plastic shield over the headlamp.
I was present when mine came out of the crate.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

39speedtwin wrote:Neville, I have to disagree with your statement that the AJS Tempest etc are assembled in the U.K., the only parts to fit are the handlebars and in the case of the Scrambler the plastic shield over the headlamp.
I was present when mine came out of the crate.
Ta. Just my laziness and brevity in generalising by writing 'mostly' in my post, Dudley.
SPRIDDLER wrote: AJS and other distributors of Chinese bikes receive them mostly disassembled in crates and assemble them in-house.
When I was looking for a 250 bike I visited distributors for Herald, Sinnis and Mash whose bikes arrived in a variety of degrees of assembly. I'd have bought an Ajay if a 250 was available. My Herald 250 Classic (the 'Mutchless') arrived substantially in kit form and without wheels, tyres, brake pads, rear suspension units, spark plug, sprockets and chain. They said they use 'European' made components. :? At least I could see that the tyres were Avon. £2,600 OTR.
Nice looking bike though. It's nippy and has been completely reliable except for rusting on brackets, chainguard and the silencer, plus the same 'long travel' annoyance with the rear brake pedal which you and others have mentioned with your Ajays. I suspect it uses the same Chinese origin master cylinder. I must do something about that before getting out and about again.
2016-05-21 Mutchless resized 009 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.