Front Fork Oil Seals

This area contains links to posts within the forum area on various topics. It's designed to help you find the answers to the most common questions about AJS and Matchless machines.
Only club members can create entries witin this area.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Front Fork Oil Seals

Post by Eamonn »

Front fork oil seals

Click here to see the entries
Corners like a Lego man
ajons

Front Fork Oil Seals

Post by ajons »

Re Front fork seals on my 1953 model 20. I had troubles with leaks on my telescopics and found that loosening and retightening of the slider tube nut was a pain in the ????
I recieved advice to 'shock ' the nut around but that was not too succesful. My metohod which appears to work well is to remove the drain hole screw and using a short thin screwdriver insterted into the drain hole, press the tube to one side to provide resistance to turning. At this moment I have leak free forks
AJonS
Peter Lecompte

Front Fork Oil Seals

Post by Peter Lecompte »

I had a similar problem with another set of forks. What I would do is: Find a long screw of the same thread as the drain plug. Grind a point on that long screw. Then use that pointed long screw instead of the drain plug. The point would prevent the tube from turning (and do no damage) while allowing me to tighten the tube nut. This is also a good method for removing the tube nut. Hope this works for you. Peter
ajons

Front Fork Oil Seals

Post by ajons »

Thanks Peter bit I did things my way two years ago and still have oil tight forks. I would be a bit concerned that your method could damage the tube as it would require the pointed screw to press sufficietly hard to stop tube rotation and would deflect the tube in the same way as my method.
Again my thanks for your input. It is this sort of interchange that allows us to keep the old girls running.
AJonS