spark plugs

This area contains links to posts within the forum area on various topics. It's designed to help you find the answers to the most common questions about AJS and Matchless machines.
Only club members can create entries witin this area.
bunners

spark plugs

Post by bunners »

Morning All
I am sure this has been covered before but, I have made a search to no avail, I am getting a tad fed up with NGK plugs letting me down, so have put an old Champion N3 in the 1957 G3L mongrel , it works a treat, so get a couple of them me thinks, all I can find is N3C, now the question is are these compatable with a Mag or is it the S that is a problem? :?: :? :?
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
SPRIDDLER

Re: spark plugs

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ted, I think you can only get N3C these days . The 'C' means Copper electrode. Bit of marketing nonsense in my opinion.
it's the 'R' (Resistor) versions you need to avoid.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
griffin

Post by griffin »

A lot of fake NGK plugs out there ...............

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

I see that "The Green Sparking Plug Company" list as an alternative to the unavailable Champion N3, the Motorcraft/Autolite AG1, which looks like a good plain and simple old fashioned plug.
Robin.
bunners

Post by bunners »

Thanks lads
I looked into the Green Spark Plug web site as I normally use them. I noticed the Motorcraft (FORD) plugs and thought they looked worth a shot.
will order a couple and see how they go. meanwhile I will keep the very old N3 in there it seems to like it. :beer:
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
clive

Post by clive »

I have always used N5 or N5C
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

N3C is the new name for the old N3 - exactly the same thing.

Try a BR7EIX - the new iridium spark plugs from NGK equivalent to a B7ES. This model has a resistor, but it also has a very thin centre electrode which greatly reduces sparking voltage and has a big plus effect, more than making up for the little minus effect of the resistor. Alternatively you could try a B8EGV.

Let us know how you get on

James :)
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

Some knowledgeable person explained to me that the problem with just about all modern plugs is :-------------Modern central insulators are unglazed and thus can't cope with our mucky old primitive engines, once "fouled! they are finished. Proper old type plugs have glazed insulators and if they get fouled by proper old engines, they either self clean or we can clean them.
Robin.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

According to NGK, their new range that James mentioned are self-cleaning, and last for 100 000 km.

Rob C
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

robcurrie wrote:According to NGK, their new range that James mentioned are self-cleaning, and last for 100 000 km.

Rob C
I've used iridium plugs on both my bikes for five years now. No problems, starting much easier on the '53 G3