spark plugs

This area contains links to posts within the forum area on various topics. It's designed to help you find the answers to the most common questions about AJS and Matchless machines.
Only club members can create entries witin this area.
Rob Harknett

Re: spark plugs

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don't forget fuel.
Plugs and engines do not get so mucky and dirty as they used to years ago.
Central electrodes have been unglazed for years. Once dirty, if cleaned, they will foul up very quickly.
Due to different fuel being used now, the plug recommended when the bike was new, may not be the best plug now.
I have a little book explaining all this with recommendations of eg what plug to use now instead on N3.
Carb settings/ jets may also need adjusting. Theres no real useful recommendations, as these only apply to a new carb, not one 50 years old with various forms of wear and perhaps wrong parts and setting plus the wrong carb being used for the bike, which most may found to be. I was once asked to ID about 8 carbs for a guy who wanted to dispose of them. I discovered the carb on his bike was wrong, but one of the carbs he was going to get rid of was correct for his bike.
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

Looks like I might have been wasting my time (and space) hanging on to those N.O.S KLG and Lodge plugs then!
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

dogwheel wrote:Looks like I might have been wasting my time (and space) hanging on to those N.O.S KLG and Lodge plugs then!
Yep, completely wasting your time and space. Please post them to me ASAP and I will gratefully take them of your hands, no charge! ;)
Janet

Post by Janet »

robcurrie wrote:According to NGK, their new range that James mentioned are self-cleaning, and last for 100 000 km.

Rob C
Yeah, but that's no good for us in the UK because we do miles. ;)
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Janet .......they have metric threads! :!:

Rob C
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dogwheel wrote:Looks like I might have been wasting my time (and space) hanging on to those N.O.S KLG and Lodge plugs then!
Got any 18 m.m. I would not discard N.O.S. My old bikes do not seem to know I'm putting modern fuel in their tanks. I may not get peak performance, top MPH & MPG, that's not a problem for me plodding along the country lanes.