Fitting rear stand spring on 1944 ridged

This area contains links to posts within the forum area on various topics. It's designed to help you find the answers to the most common questions about AJS and Matchless machines.
Only club members can create entries witin this area.
boilerman

Fitting rear stand spring on 1944 ridged

Post by boilerman »

Help anyone. Has anyone in the club got any idea how to fit the rear stand spring on my 1944 ridged. The spring is 8 inches centre to centre, and the distance from pin to pin on frame and stand is 10.5 inches. The spring is so strong even putting washers between the coils it still wont fit. Any advice given would be appreciated . Mike
Samuel

Re: Fitting rear stand spring on 1944 ridged

Post by Samuel »

Fat screwdriver used as a lever - stick end in loop on end of spring and then tip of screwdriver into the hole in the frame, then pull firmly!
Well that is how I did it on my 1949 G80 which is similar...
Sam
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

On my '46 I put a loop of cord on the rearmost spring hook then hook the other end of the spring onto the forward pin and pull on the cord, stretching the spring whilst sat behind the rear wheel, pressing my foot against the rear tyre.

(Other methods of injury are available).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It is a swine of a job. from memory I copied the pulling technique a couple of times but the bike does try to follow you across the floor, I have seen a drawing of an offset spring extender somewhere that would make it an easy job, an arm/hook in each end and turn a hex to extend.
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

On me !940 G3 the fat screwdriver method worked for me.
simonh

Post by simonh »

I put big washers between the coils to de-tension the spring a little then levered the rear end over the peg with some 10mm angle steel