know AJS model

Forum rules
Bienvenue a  la section francaise du club AJS et Matchless. Ici vous pouvez ecrire en Francais ou en Anglais, poser des questions et obtenir des informations sur votre moto de la marque.

Que vous soyez proprietaire ou simplement interesse par la marque, vous etes ici bienvenu .
Naoufel

know AJS model

Post by Naoufel »

hi everyone, happy to join you,
I just bought an AJS, but as it has been modified I cannot identify its exact model to restore it correctly, I found a number on the frame under the saddle ; 280 34 can someone help me please, thanks
Groily

Re: know AJS model

Post by Groily »

Welcome! Bienvenu!
Je ne sais pas définitivement, mais vous êtes probablement le seul membre de Tunisie. Félicitations!

Someone may be able to interpret those numbers, but I think more information is probably needed. Is it a single cylinder or a twin cylinder machine? Is it possible for you to post a picture even, if you have joined the Club? We are always curious to see the machines members have acquired, we are a nosey bunch!

Il y aura peut-être quelqu'un qui pourrait vous donner une réponse précise en utilisant les chiffres simples que vous avez fourni - mais il serait plus facile, sans aucune doute, si vous pourriez préciser si la moto est une mono- ou bi-cylindre, et aussi, si possible, ajouter une photographie si vous êtes membre du Club? (En plus, nous sommes toujours infatigablement curieux - fouinards même!)

Amitiés,
Bill Brown (de la section française)
Naoufel

Post by Naoufel »

bonsoir monsieur Bill Brown
merci bien pour votre réponse
effectivement je pense que c'est la seule AJS en Tunisie , c'est rêve qui c'est réaliser de l'acheter :) ,
le problème elle a subit pas mal de modifications ; le bloc , la fourche avant , j'ai des photos mais j'arrive pas à trouver comment les faire joindre ici !!

good evening Sir Bill Brown
thank you very much for your answer
actually I think it's the only AJS in Tunisia, it's a dream come true by buying it :),
the problem has undergone a lot of modifications; the engine, the front fork, I have pictures but I can not find how to attach them here !!
Last edited by Naoufel on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Si vous m'envoyez une photographie vers jampot.fr@gmail.com je pourrais la télécharger afin de partager l'image de votre achat avec les membres du Club. (Seulement membres du Club ont le droit d'inclure photos - ou, en plus, de commander pièces détachées de notre 'Parts Service'). La cotisation annuelle est modeste!

If you send me a picture to jampot.fr@gmail.com I will load it so we can see what you have got. (Only full members of the Club can load pix - or, for that matter, obtain parts from the Parts Service.) The annual subscription is modest!

Amitiés,
Bill (Mr - je suis un mec!)
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Groily wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:43 am Amitiés,
Bill (Mr - je suis un mec!)
Sorry, off topic momentarily but, to our retired members...You lucky so and so's....my employer has just invited us to join Bill's contemporary (if prompted) example and sign off with our preferred pronouns.

So from those who are about to go to work: "We Salute You!"

Rant over, now let's see those pics!!
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Naoufel

Post by Naoufel »

bonjour monsieur Bill Brown
désolé je voulais dire monsieur :) , merci de votre réponse et votre précieuse aide , je cherche depuis une semaine sur les sites sans résultat :(
ok je vous envois plain de photos , choisissez celles que vous juger utile , en vous rappelant que l'ancien propriétaire a du apporter des modifications ( fourgue avant , moteur , guidon , Béquille centrale ¤ tout venant d'une KAWASAKI KLR 600 )
hello mister bill brown
sorry i meant sir :), thank you for your reply and your precious help, i have been searching for a week on the sites with no results :(
ok I am sending you lots of photos, choose the ones you deem useful, remembering that the previous owner had to make changes (front fork, engine, handlebars, center stand ¤ all from a KAWASAKI KLR 600)
Groily

Post by Groily »

OK chaps and 'esses, stand by to be shocked by the scale of the challenge Sam is thinking of taking on!

He has sent me a couple of dozen pix, some of which I'm adding here. I'm sorry they are small - I am no expert at getting thing across formats or changing / improving them, and have just had a hissy fit trying to play via Google Photos.

It need not to be said that we are in a realm seldom entered by those of us who live in places where bikes of the marques are relatively plentiful . . . in this case it's a question of what bits aren't wrong, damaged, beyond hope even, rather than which bits are right. But, there are at least some which might once have lived together, on a machine of the marque even.

If anyone would hazard a guess as to what it might once have been, I know Sam would be grateful, per his original query. And if anyone can tell, I raise my hat because I don't have a clue, bar noting there's a swing arm! To say he is brave would be the understatement of the year probably.

The numbers Sam referred to in his original post are on the top rail just aft of the messy weld where the seat pillar has been 'repositioned'.
He says below that a whole lot of it is Kawasaki . . .
Sam Special 10.jpg
Sam Special 9.jpg
Sam Special 8.jpg
Sam Special 6.jpg
Sam Special 3.jpg
Sam Special 2.jpg
Sam Special 1.jpg
(Cher Sam,
Pour avancer avec ce défi extra, je sais - sûr - que vous avez besoin de rejoindre le Club, afin d'accéder à l'expertise, infos techniques, pièces détachées nombreuses, etc etc. Si vous êtes vraiment déterminé à refaire cette vieille bête, vous aurez besoin de toute l'aide possible du monde entier! Amitiés, Bill)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naoufel

Post by Naoufel »

bonsoir , oui , je vais essayer tout mon possible de rendre dans son état initial , le défît est grand serte , de plus ici en Tunisie j'ai jamais vu ou entendez parler d'une AJS ! pour cela la première étape consiste à connaitre le modèle et peut être l'année de production ; rappelons que le numéro de chassie sous la selle est 28034 , je compte sur votre aide , et si je peux rejoindre le groupe oui pour quoi pas , on fait comment ? merci

good evening, yes, I will try my best to return to its initial state, the deffit is great, moreover here in Tunisia I have never seen or heard of an AJS! for this the first step is to know the model and can be the year of production; say that the chassi number under the saddle is 28034, I am counting on your help, and if I can join the group yes for what not, how do we do it? thank you
Groily

Post by Groily »

Got another couple of pix from Sam, to try to help with what the heck this once was.
The original tank badge was the round screw-on blue job, as found on many bikes, my '54 twin included (but I don't know exactly which years used that one, or on what models),
and the frame is obviously a s/arm heavyweight. But can't see the front downtube to see if there is or isn't the head steady bit on the front that might distinguish it as single or twin. The red lines in the pic show what the change of seat pillar angle was to get the Kawa engine in, ouch.

Can anyone say more from the parts that are visible or give a range of years/models maybe that would be a reasonable crack at it?

Thanks on his behalf for any thoughts.
Sam's tank badge.jpg
Sam's frame before chopping.jpg
(Sam, pour rejoindre le club, voir le pdf ci-joint!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It's a '55 frame.
Dave.