New Member in France

Forum rules
Bienvenue a  la section francaise du club AJS et Matchless. Ici vous pouvez ecrire en Francais ou en Anglais, poser des questions et obtenir des informations sur votre moto de la marque.

Que vous soyez proprietaire ou simplement interesse par la marque, vous etes ici bienvenu .
sdapeze

New Member in France

Post by sdapeze »

Hello all. I was surprised to see that there was a France section on the forum. I retired from a lifetime in engineering, centred around Colchester in England, and decamped to the Aude in France in 2017, bringing my 350 AJS and 500 Matchless with me. Now, after we have done so much work on our home, I am finding time to devote to my two 'oldies'. I also have a 1000 Honda adventure bike and 250 Yamaha enduro for a bit of fun offroad. At the moment I am looking at getting both fuel tanks treated for internal rust, real or imaginary. The Ewarts fuel taps leak, so they need attention as well. Cork? What's that? I first joined AMOC in 1977, as far as my records show, so I have a bit of history with the organisation.
sdapeze

Re: New Member in France

Post by sdapeze »

Advice required please as to how to put the UK registered bikes on the road. Can I get a 'carte grise' for them?
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Bonjour Jess,
Bienvenue dans l'Aude, où avait résidé l'ancien secrétaire de la Section Française, le regretté Alan Smith (Saltbox Alf)...
Pour ma part j'habite l'Isère, au sud de Grenoble.
Pour l'immatriculation de vos motos en France, je vous suggère de prendre contact avec Bill Brown (Groily) qui réside en France, et doit parfaitement connaître les formalités à accomplir. Ma G12 CSR a toujours été immatriculée en France, et la carte grise reproduit les données admises à l'époque pour le niveau de bruit : 98 décibels à l'arrêt : je peux donc faire beaucoup de bruit en toute légalité !
Kind regards.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi Jess,
regarding your fuel tank, I can recommand RESTOM, if you want to line them by yourself.
For taps have a look at FEKED website because for E.U. countries AMOC PARTS don't take orders under £ 135.
Kind regards.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

JEAN-NOEL wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 am Hi Jess,
regarding your fuel tank, I can recommand RESTOM, if you want to line them by yourself.
For taps have a look at FEKED website because for E.U. countries AMOC PARTS don't take orders under £ 135.
Kind regards.
I'm currently looking into the shipping situation to the EU regarding tax collection before shipping. It's not quick or easy but have approached some shippers to get some more advice and options that may allow us to still collect payment online if it can be linked to our system.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Hi Jess,
Happy to help as much as I can. Haven't imported anything since Brexit and not thinking of doing so either to be honest, so not sure about the official import procedure and 'quittance fiscal' (tax) side of it now, but as for registering, I think you'd be best advised to register in the category 'véhicule de collection' (historic vehicle equivalent). That's run by an organisation called the Fedération Française des Véhicules de l'Epoque' based at Billancourt. Their website is https://www.ffve.org/ and there's a whole lot on how to go about it. Worth careful study methinks if you haven't been there already.

Over the years I've registered a dozen or so bikes and a few classic cars, but it has got harder (before adding any of the ex-EU stuff to the tangled web) and they are now more picky than they used to be. That said, the last machine I imported, a Norton - pre-Brexit tis true - went through like clockwork in a few days.
Happy to discuss and try to point you in the right places if I can, but we're all flying a bit blinder than in the past.
Cheers,
Bill