speedo drive

Information related to the Harris Matchless (also known as Devon Matchless)
mad99mike

speedo drive

Post by mad99mike »

hi recently my speeo stopped working all the parts of the speedo drive was there but would not work on inspection the problem was the box did not stay in mesh [worm and wheel] as the drive is only has one tang it puts perrsure on one side to get over this i used a large bottle top from 4lt drinking bottle needs thinning down in length and a hole cut to clear spacer this does not effect the rear wheel saftey wise as all it does is put pressure all the way round the speedo drive have mended two this way and covered several hundred mile as this seems to be a common problem thought i would share this with others if u dont under stand reply ti this message and i will talk u thro this
GSAX1

Re: speedo drive

Post by GSAX1 »

It is very difficult to read and understand your post.
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

Have to agree with Michael here! Ever heard about punctuation? Further you seem to have solved a problem, that istn't really a problem, with a bodge. If you have all the right parts installed, this problem is non-existent. But keep posting anyway, there is great scope for improvement. :D
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
mad99mike

Post by mad99mike »

the speedo drive is not available and the altenrative is to use the one from a triumph which you have to modify the tang and bore out the center hole and then how long will it last i have 3x harris matchless and they have covered under 14000 miles all have had replacement speedo drives and some more than once so in my opinion there is a problem and driving it on one tang and not two or more loads the unit on one side only and is not good engineering practice and all though u may call it a bodge but it uniformly loads the drive unit with out excessive pressure which makes good sense and we will wait and see how long they last
BolserG80

Post by BolserG80 »

80s MOTO GUZZI, I have one on mine.