Jampot repair tools

cwkhutchins

Jampot repair tools

Post by cwkhutchins »

Hi every one
I have just discovered this forum and own a box of bits which was once a Matchless G3LS . Having retired recently would like to restore it .I would like to hire loan or buy the tools (clamps) to repair the rear suspension jam pots , should any one have them .I think these items are usually home made I would be very grateful for any help with these tools . Many thanks .

Chas Hutchins
dave16mct

Re: Jampot repair tools

Post by dave16mct »

It would help if you stated your location. For example I could help if you were in Lancashire/Merseyside. The tools are easily made but you really need some help with the proceedure of stripping and rebuilding Jampots. If you joined the club you would be able to access all the technical information available and save 10% on all the parts needed from our spares scheme. :D
Cheers Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Chas

Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked in the "Archive" for details of the tools: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ns2c6cv3kb5 ... s.pdf?dl=0

Alternatively the club will be able to sell you exchange units, you will need to identify what type you have though: http://www.jampot-spares.com/store/come ... duct=23616
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dave16mct wrote:It would help if you stated your location.
Welcome to the Forum Chas.

Dave,
We had this difficulty in offering help previous to the changeover to the 'new' server which Eamonn fixed by making 'location' (county) an obligatory field in the Registration process. Maybe he can restore that requirement........? It does help a lot in offering help or recommending suppliers/engineering services etc.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
cwkhutchins

Post by cwkhutchins »

Hi everyone thanks for the warm welcome to the forum and the Tips re joining the club and to Dave for sending the link re the tools for the jam pot repairs. My location is Chalfont St Giles Bucks Nr Amersham end of the metropolitan line.

Best

Chas
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Chas, that was Duncan who sent the link. I made similar tools in wood and also the tool to stretch the units to remove the circlip. I was going to make a steel frame from angle iron etc but I thought I am a woodworker so why not make it in wood! Others have used a workmate, ratchet straps etc to do the same job.
Dave.
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

With simple means I made a jig for stretching jampots that worked well. Four lengths of 2" x 2" wood, about a foot long each, + four lengths of threaded bar, the sturdier the better. Not a good photo, but can be seen in my project thread in the project section in the forum, 1955 G9. To hold the jampots while disassembling - assembling the top and bottom yokes I took a 2" x 4", drilled a hole in it, split it lengthwise and then put the whole shebang in the vise. Not as neat, but worked after some fettling.