AJSCaferacer

Looking for a mobile mechanic

Post by AJSCaferacer »

I have a Model 30, 600cc twin which refuses to start despite:
New Amal carb 2 years ago
New plugs
Compression fine
Fuel seems ok
Can anyone recommend a mobile mechanic who could pop round pls? Live in Bath.
Thanks.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Looking for a mobile mechanic

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Michael and welcome the club.
Shame you've not had any replies so far.
Although you've put your post in the appropriate forum there have only been 7 posts there in the past ten years so you may get more views/help if you cut and paste it in the 'General Topics' section. A mention of the year might help a bit.
You said it had a new carb 2 years ago but was that whilst it was in your period of possession - i.e. have you had the bike running and been using it or is it new to you? Did it just refuse to start one day or has it been playing up over time? Are the plugs sparking?
I don't know of any 'mobile' mechanics for our old bikes other than helpful section pals in my area so your request might be better noticed in the 'General Topics' forum as suggested.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
AJSCaferacer

Post by AJSCaferacer »

Thanks Spriddler
I’ve had the bike for 14 years and have improved it over the years. It is reliable but every couple of years it just won’t start.
It may be I don’t use it enough so it can’t be wear and tear.
Thought I would try and find a mobile mechanic on forum as the ones I try don’t work on old bikes. I can always go back to Bike Care in Bristol but will paste to another forum. Thanks again for the tip.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I can always take a look, I'm not a travelling mechanic but I am good at thinking of the things people forget so hence good at problem solving. I happen to have access to an old git[1] that has the knack for starting bikes.

[1]aka Dad.
clive

Post by clive »

If a bike does not start after a long period out of use the first thing i would check is to clean the points. They oxidise when left unused. It can sometimes be all the problem is.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

If you contact John Allen in the Bristol group and get yourself on the group email distribution you should get plenty of help from our section. I think I'm the only Bristol member that visits this forum.

I've had good reports about Superbike Surgery, Cam Gloucestershire. Friends have used him on modern machinery and have been very pleased with his work.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Mjf65, I happen to be on here but haven't heard anything from the Bristol group.