AJS Stormer - Jeff Smith

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
Cjay59_LAPSED

AJS Stormer - Jeff Smith

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

During his first 500cc Motocross World Championship-winning campaign in 1964, Smith rode his BSA B40 (what started in production form as a 350cc punched out to 420cc) to six victories in 13 rounds and never once finished off the podium.

He won the title that year by a narrow margin over Swede Rolf Tibblin, who'd won the previous two world titles. The championship wasn't decided until the final race.
Jeff Smith AJS Y4 1969.jpg
https://ajsstormer.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... blog-post/

“By then I was 30, and I have to say that I thought I was never going to win the world championship,” Smith said. “Obviously, experience and an excellent machine came together at just the right moment and I managed to win the championship.”

In 1965, Smith was so dominant that by halfway through the season he'd already clinched his second world championship. Smith's 1965 title proved to be the last hurrah for the thundering four-stroke motocross machines of the era.

The next year, 1966, saw East German ace Paul Friedrichs score the first of three consecutive 500cc world titles on his CZ two-stroke.

In all, Jeff Smith earned nine British Championships in addition to his two motocross world titles. Smith also went to America in 1970 and won the first two Trans-AM races ever held, the first in La Rue, Ohio and the next in New Berlin, New York (Unadilla).

His career in racing earned him a visit to Buckingham Palace in 1970, where he was bestowed a MBE for his services to motorcycling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.