Rear chain for 1936 250

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
poplargreg

Rear chain for 1936 250

Post by poplargreg »

Still proceeding with my long time rebuild, and almost there.

Some time ago I bought a new rear chain (not from the club) for my 1953 350. It snagged on the back of the primary chaincase as it was wider than the one that it had replaced. I bought a Renold chain that was narrower and it did the trick.

I purchased a 1/2 x .305 rear chain for my 1936 model 22 from the club spares and have had the same trouble, in this case slightly snagging the rear chainguard. It's not made by Renold and has "Ivis Motor Systems" on the box. I don't have an old chain for comparison as I'm building from a box of parts and it was discarded years ago.
I can't see any other reason this could happen, apart from the chain being a bit too wide, so don't want to modify the bike to enable it to fit if all that is needed is a different make.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with the club chains on rigid bikes?
Rob Harknett

Re: Rear chain for 1936 250

Post by Rob Harknett »

For 1936 AJS the primary & rear chain are both 1/2". Rear sprocket also 1/2" You may already have a wrong bit ??
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Hello Rob - hope you're feeling better.
No, it's the ccorrect half inch chain, but rubs the chain guard. I can modify the short piece of mudguard behind it to move the chain guard back slightly, but before doing this I just wondered if a Renold chain might be that little bit narrowe overall.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

I just checked the 5/8" Renold chain on my 350. It is almost 3mm narrower overall than a spare link I kept from the one that rubbed. It wasn't one of those fat o-ring ones either.