Help for restoration of an AJS K8 build 1928

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Ahrberger

Help for restoration of an AJS K8 build 1928

Post by Ahrberger »

Hi guys,
I am new in this forum. My name is Michell and I plan to restore a AJS K8 built in 1928. I stored several BMWs and also cars but I absolutely don’t have any experience with AJS. I think doing to work is not a problem. The challenge is to find out how I should look like to get back the delivery status. I hope you and your experience can help me.

I got the AJS not as motorcycle but as parts collection already nearly three years ago and unfortunately in these three years I never managed to see a complete AJS K8, just the pictures in the internet. Some parts, like e.g. the reservoir, are missing but it is really an interesting project and I really should start in this year. The engine I already gave to a work shop. Everything is restored but not assembled yet. What to do next? I decided to do the wheels next.

Let me ask you my first question: I have wheels. Unfortunately, they are not original AJS K8 wheels. But they are fitting and I was told that they are AJS wheels from the 1930s. Do you see from which model? My idea is to restore the wheels anyway and if I find original ones later, it will be easy to replace them. How should I restore the wheels? Questions are how should the spokes be mounted? Which diameter, length, colour and material should the spokes have? I which colour should the rims be painted?

I am thankful for any reliable information I can get.

Well, another question is: How can I add pictures to my post?

Thank you and best regards,
Michell
SPRIDDLER

Re: Help for restoration of an AJS K8 build 1928

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ahrberger wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:53 am Hi guys,
I am new in this forum. My name is Michell and I plan to restore a AJS K8 built in 1928.
Welcome to the Forums, Michell.
I don't know much about pre-war models but here's a guide to some basic info that may help you. Perhaps other members will be able to give you more help and there is a specific 'Pre-War Group' and someone may be able to provide you with a link to it.
The challenge is to find out how I should look like to get back the delivery status. I hope you and your experience can help me.
You can find some original factory documents, Workshop and Owners Manuals, Parts Lists and advertising material plus a lot more by browsing the website known as 'Christians Archive' in the link here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Here is just one example of the info available in the 'Promotional' and 'Sales Brochures' section :

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... Poster.pdf

And under 'Books' then 'Owners Manuals' there's a manual of rather poor quality but you can enlarge it by using the + symbol.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... e_them.pdf

Let me ask you my first question: I have wheels. Unfortunately, they are not original AJS K8 wheels.
Sorry I can't help with the wheels.
Well, another question is: How can I add pictures to my post?
Here's an earlier post of mine showing how to post a photo when using a laptop:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27956&p=237049#p237049

Or you can use a free hosting website, e.g. 'Postimages'. Link here:

https://postimages.org/

After uploading your photo to 'Postimages' use this link to post it in your Forum message:

There's a lot more that can be said but the above is just a guide to help you on your way.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ahrberger

Re: Help for restoration of an AJS K8 build 1928

Post by Ahrberger »

Hi guys,

first of all thank you very much to spriddler for your support!

and yes, it works with the pictures!
This is how the project looks like now.

and here are pictures of the wheels. Do you know from which model they are? How should I restore them?