attaching dynamo sprocket

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
poplargreg

attaching dynamo sprocket

Post by poplargreg »

I'm currently rebuilding my 1936 AJS 22 - 250cc.
It was last on the road in the early seventies and has been languishing in various boxes until now. I have sent the dynamo off for reconditioning, and my problem concerns the sprocket. Mr W.C. Haycaft of Pitman's fame, in the "Overhauling 1932-9 chapter says" "Before removing the sprocket nut, first remove the spring locking ring (circlip) encircling the nut and the locking washer".

Now, my E3L dynamp has a tapered shaft with a 17 tooth sprocket attached solely with a nut and spring washer. There is an "X" shaped pattern of tapering slots in the face of the sprocket that do not currently serve any purpose. I have purchased a new, rather more sustantial nut and circlip, but can't see what the purpose of the circlip is. Should I also have some sort of locking washer related to it?

I know that the the sprocket has (until now) never been removed since 1966, and possibly not since new, without any mishap. However, I don't look forward to dynamo and sprocket parting company, so can anyone shed light on this?

I know I should just open up the chaincase of my G3L to look at that one, but I really can't face disturbing the presently completely oil tight seal!
dave16mct

Re: attaching dynamo sprocket

Post by dave16mct »

Yes you need locking washer 000164. It has tags on the outside which fit in a couple of those slots. It's sort of star shaped on the inside and fits on the heagonal nut. The circlip then holds it in place. Or you could use locktite or a BSF nylock nut.If you go for the nylock nut you have to thin it down on a lathe so the nylon bit sits on the thread. Any pics yet?
Dave.
PS I've had one of these nuts let go and it wasn't pretty! Didn't have any locking washer fitted then.
poplargreg

Re: attaching dynamo sprocket

Post by poplargreg »

Thank you very much for your help - thought it must be something like that. I need a few more bits, so I'll add that to the list.
It's coming along nicely - PM me and I'll email you some pics.
Cheers, Greg