1937twinport 350 info reqd

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Traveller

1937twinport 350 info reqd

Post by Traveller »

Anny info on correct carb for above it is a 350 ,mine has a concentric fitted .Also speedo drive where should it be connected rear or front wheel?
Any info , pics or service /workshop manual of this model would be much appreciated.
dave16mct

Re: 1937twinport 350 info reqd

Post by dave16mct »

Look here for manuals etc: hhttp://archives.jampot.dk
I think from memory the speedo drive was from the gearbox in '37.
Try Amal for info on new pre-monobloc carbs. Or maybe an ad in the Jampot.
Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Nigel

The original specifications are available in "Christian's Archives": http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Car ... s_1937.pdf

For 1937 the speedo drive would have originally been taken from the Burman Type H gearbox, you can just make out the boss under the gearchange in the sales brochure: http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ochure.pdf
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

37 speedo drive was from Burman gear box for AMC bikes, with no fixing points on the forks. The box may be stamped AJS or Matchless. Fixing points differed for other marques that used the gear box with no speedo drive. A bike resisted July 1937 onwards, required a speedo by law. See 1936 / 37 Burman H gearbox parts list. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... 6_December
See pic below as on my 36/22. its looks the same on 37. Inside what is referred to here as the " boss" the cable is fitted via a special bolt. Thye cable then holds in place the speedo drive gear. ( pt no 76H if my memory is correct check my P/List link above.) With no cable fitted the drive gear will fall out and get lost. Years ago I got a load made at £12 each, probable cost over £100 now. I got cables made in New Zealand, JJ Cables refused to make them for me. They had fell out with the club and were very impolite in saying I was getting them for the club. The NZ company were much cheaper than JJ even with postage costs. They also modified the cable end fitting making it removable. If the inner wire broke, only that wire needed replacing. Note the cable is also steel sheave armoured.
1936 AJS model 22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Thanks to all who answered.My model has high level exhausts and the tank has been painted all black.Not sure if speedo dri e is still on gearbox ,many things to check out.
Thanks for all the replies
Regards .Nigel Ward (Traveller )
Janet

Post by Janet »

Hello Nigel. I'm happy to see you here and I hope you won't mind me pointing out that you have posted this thread in the section for the 250 lightweight bikes. I'm not criticising the responses you've received as I know nothing* about your bike but there is a section for pre-war bikes which you'll find lower down the index page. You may find lots of useful info there.

*something that has often been said about me.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Janet wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:25 pm .... you have posted this thread in the section for the 250 lightweight bikes....
Must visit Specsavers as I hadn't noticed this!!

I have now moved the topic into the correct section.
Eamonn
Corners like a Lego man