Spares for pre war singles

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Gino-Ant

Spares for pre war singles

Post by Gino-Ant »

Good evening everyone.
Owning the model 22 is my first dip of the toe into the AJS marque, I have to admit the I’m floundering a little.
Historically, I’ve restored BSA’s (60’s back to 40’s) and have kind of got used to their part numbering system and availability of spares.However, I’m struggling with the AJ.
In particular, I’ve been searching for spare parts such as drive side crank axle. My bike is a ‘37 but manufactured in late ‘36. The part number could be 20821 (earlier) or 37/12/E20 (‘37 spec) - I think this is correct.
Searching either of these part numbers has been pretty fruitless up to now. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places or maybe spares are really that thin on the ground?
Any pointers, advice, words of wisdom or comforting thoughts (😊) greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Gino
Rob Harknett

Re: Spares for pre war singles

Post by Rob Harknett »

pt.no. is AE17 for 1935 / 36. Which is not available. Note 37/12 E20. 37 = 1937 the year it was introduced. 12 = the smallest model it fitted. E = Engine. To find some check if it has a new pt. no. here. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ements.pdf
( new pt. no's were introduced in 1952 ) If the part has a new pt. no. use the new pt. no. to search / order. Most parts will have to be second hand from auto jumbles / e bay. They are rare
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Gino

The drive axle for the 250 was 7/8" diameter unfortunately the 250 was discontinued in 1940 and the 350 used a 1" diameter axle from that point on so it will not be a part that is in high demand, currently Russel Motors may be you best bet if they have some NOS or its auction sites, auto Jumbles and a wanted advert. Are you on the pre-war yahoo group as there may also be a lead there?
Gino-Ant

Post by Gino-Ant »

Thanks for help!
it’s a bit like getting a job with a new company, I’m sure I’ll get the hang of things & where to look for them.
I’ll check out the yahoo pre war group,
Thanks again for the info.
Gino.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Duncan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:38 pm Hi Gino

The drive axle for the 250 was 7/8" diameter unfortunately the 250 was discontinued in 1940 and the 350 used a 1" diameter axle from that point on so it will not be a part that is in high demand, currently Russel Motors may be you best bet if they have some NOS or its auction sites, auto Jumbles and a wanted advert. Are you on the pre-war yahoo group as there may also be a lead there?
You need pt.no. AE17 for 1935 - 1936 250 AJS. Other years were different.

There has been no prewar WD yahoo e-group for well over a year. Yahoo trimmed e - groups down to nothing more than a chat rooms.
All the prewar WD yahoo members were migrated to an io e- group. https://ajsmatchless.groups.io/g/PrewarWDAJSM
If you e mail me at prewar@jampot.com I can activate the website to send you an invite to join. My inviting you cuts out application approval.
I will need your name and e mail address you wish to use.
Gino-Ant

Post by Gino-Ant »

Thank you Rob,
I appreciate that, I joined the WDAJSM group a short while ago, while in the final throws of getting the bike.
Just checking part numbers again, is AE17 a crank pin? I’m looking for drive side crank axle which I think is 20821?
Cheers,
Gino
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Apologies Gino & other members that made comment.
In your first posting Gino you stated pt. no. AE17 or could it be 20821. I dismissed 20821 and went for AE17 which is the crank pin. You do need drive side axle 20821. This axle fitted all 250 350 & 500 OHV models up to 1936.
I am wondering if you have a drive side axle?? If it is sound but worn perhaps you should use it. Back in the 1980's I got a box of WD Matchless unused & used spares from an old WW2 soldier that worked on motor cycles. I picked up a drive side axel and said that's well worn. He said that's still got a lot of life in it. l pulled my AJS 36 mod. 22 from under a pile of rubbish and farm machinery on waste land back in 1986. It was quite sound and missing it's wheels and carb. I never dismantled the engine and kept the worn drive side axle on it. In less than a year I found it's missing bits and got it on the road. In 39 years I have done over 10,000 fun miles on it with my wife on the pillion, Apart from punctures it's only broke down once. The gearbox
sprocket came off.
27. Wrexham Horse shoe Pass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

A glorious looking machine, Rob, and congratulations on locating a pillion prepared to travel on the 'upholstered brick'! If i attempted to get Mrs GB aboard anything without springs (saddle and/or frame mounted) I reckon I'd be getting 'cold shoulder' for tea for the next month ;) Even the 52 Golden Flash is shunned for any decent 2-up runs on account of its less than spacious accomodation.

Gino - one accessory you may find useful as you delve deeper into the world of pre-war machinery is a can of neatsfoot oil. This can be applied liberally to the spine of your wallet to preserve it as it will be opened much more frequently now - either to buy a lathe and assorted tooling to make your own parts or to pay others to make them for you. Having said that, I wouldn't swap the experience for the world :D

Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

She was not amused after I returned one day to the Woodbridge Jampot rally and drove straight on the Trails site. a crowd soon gathered in fits of laughter commenting " nice one Rob "
Gino-Ant

Post by Gino-Ant »

What a fab photo!
How do model 22’s go generally, in particular two up?
Thanks for your advice, for the moment I’ll leave the spindle as it is and keep my eye out for a spare, as I will for any other bits and pieces that may happen to come along.
Steve, Wallet has indeed already begun to feel the ever increasing pressure of a new project! I’m quite lucky as I’ve managed to set myself up with a few bits of machinery in my workshop, my prized possession being my 1940’s atlas lathe. Absolutely invaluable.
Thanks again.
This was my lockdown project, I absolutely love it!
https://ibb.co/wJP3Qmt