Oil pump guide screw

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Gino-Ant

Oil pump guide screw

Post by Gino-Ant »

Good evening everyone,
Working through my recently acquired 1937 Model 22 I noticed that the oil pump guide screw I have is a HT cap head with a diameter machined / ground on the end, furthermore, it was hanging out by a few threads.
I’m sure this isn’t correct & I’m struggling to find a correct genuine replacement.
The part number I have from my parts book is AF96 but a search hasn’t turned anything up. I can make one that looks like the one in the parts book but don’t know whether it needs to hardened?
I’m going to check the pump as a matter of course now I’ve seen what I’ve seen but any help & advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Gino.
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil pump guide screw

Post by Rob Harknett »

Gino,
I am not surprised you cannot find what you are looking for. You need to look in the parts list for your bike. Which you are not doing.
From what you say, look at the front cover of the parts list you are saying is for your 1937 AJS. You should see the parts list you are looking at is for 1935 AJS.
Look here. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
Ashampoo_Snap_28 December 2021_10h45m55s_002_.jpg
I am sure you need part no. STD771 Oil pump plunger/cam screw.
This part is different to AF76 used on 1935 AJS, It is also different to 1938 AJS. No parts list was issued for 1936 to confirm if the part was the same as 1935. So the part you need may have only been used for 1937 AJS. You will be very lucky to find a new or used 1937 STD771 type.
The part you have in you bike is probably correct. Perhaps you can repair what has become damaged or make a new one.
You should know how to test the one you have to discover if its hardened. I believe a file will not file it if it's hardened .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gino-Ant

Post by Gino-Ant »

Thanks Rob.
I’ll have to be careful I think, although the bike is registered as 1937, the motor is 36/12 which I’m assuming is 1936? if that’s the case the screw will be AE96?
There appears to be a dramatic difference in numbering systems for the 1937 parts!
Anyway, I’ll have a play around with it, see how I go..
Thanks again, G.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I checked Matchless parts list for 1936, they still used AE96. Perhaps AJS also.
Ashampoo_Snap_28 December 2021_18h05m29s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gino-Ant

Post by Gino-Ant »

Thank you Rob.