1922 AJS Model B

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
darrellh

1922 AJS Model B

Post by darrellh »

Hi all. I am new to your forum. I have just purchased a 1922 AJS 1922 Standard Sporting 350cc 2¾HP Engine only to restore as a project. The engine is in transit but wanted to get a jump on locating a few parts. I am looking for a period correct Magneto and Carb for the engine. In my research I have been able to determine that the Magneto is a Lucas and the carb is an AMAC. I haven't been able to identify the specific Lucas Magneto Type or the AMAC carb type. I think the magneto is a type K1 but I'm not sure. If anyone has the types / numbers for either of these and could pass that on it would be greatly appreciated.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1922 AJS Model B

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... e_Them.pdf
Model B is a touring version, B1 Standard sporting, B2 Stripped sporting.
http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ochure.pdf
I would need to know frame and engine numbers to discover the year and model.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

And membership is cheap if you are not already a member.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:50 pm
I would need to know frame and engine numbers to discover the year and model.
As I read it Rob, Darrell only has the engine.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
darrellh

Post by darrellh »

Thank you for the pdf. I did become a member and have looked around on the web site but I missed the pdf that you have provided.
You are correct, I only have the engine. I can get the engine number once it arrives.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If just joined meant just joined the club, it would not show up as " member " for a while. If Darrel has only joined the forum, we will have to point out the limits of being a guest V benefits of being a club member. At the moment he does not show up as a guest or member. I did note the words engine only in transit to restore. Darrel claims the engine is a model B Standard Sporting, which it is not. So it must be confirmed what he has, which numbers will do. Once that is done the correct literature can be referred to and work can commence.
darrellh

Post by darrellh »

I have purchased a membership and registered on the forum although I may not have done so in the proper order. I have sent a note to the seller to ask he he has the engine number as it's not visible in the photo's I have. I have attached a few photos of the engine as it was posted when I bought it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

What a gorgeous piece of rudimentary engineering art, conical valve springs an' all.

If old engineering interests you have a look at this grainy B&W film showing the casting, machining and assembly of an engine at I'd guess the same period as yours. No eye protection or gloves in those days!

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Fantastic stuff, Sprids. That's my evening's viewing taken care of :D

Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ochure.pdf
The engine number 19474 is from a 1922 model B1 standard sporting. which was 19001 to 29285. model B numbers were lower, model B3 numbers were higher.
Engine specifications did differ on the 1922 touring model B. The main differences can be read in the sales cat ( link above )
All differences can be found by looking at the parts list link I gave. Parts will be very difficult to find. Perhaps the previous owner discovered this, so gave up. You will probably have to settle for it being just a show piece engine minus carb and mag.