1922 AJS Model B

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
darrellh

Re: 1922 AJS Model B

Post by darrellh »

Thanks for the info. At least now I have the model identified, much appreciated. The problem with the AJS documentation is that it lists their part numbers but not the specific part number or type of the manufacturer (Lucas or Amac). I am persistent and know it is going to take some time to identify and find the parts but I will find them. Will post my findings.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The manufacturers were not thinking 100 years into the future with parts lists. Giving a part a number ensured you got the correct part back in the 1920's.
tommo903

Post by tommo903 »

Hi all,
I’m new to the forum but interested to know how Darrell is getting on with his Model B1, which he posted about last July.

I was lucky enough to buy the same model just a couple of months ago. It’s not running yet as I need to re-time the magneto as the previous owner had it refurbished but hopefully, it won’t take too much to get it back on the road again…hasn’t been used for at least 30 years or so.

Steve
darrellh

Post by darrellh »

Steve, I'm making slow progress with the B1. Found the inner/outer timing covers, magneto chain & sprockets and drive side sprocket in Australia. The AMAC carb (that I believe is the correct one) in the UK along with all the bits and pieces of hardware/screws. Found a Lucas K1 Magneto in Austria and an exhaust pipe in the UK. The magneto stand and protector plate came out of Germany.

Have completed all the rebuild/refinish work on the individual pieces including the fin repairs and paint. I hope to start the engine assembly sometime over the winter. I only have the B1 engine which I want to rebuild/refinish and use it as engine art. Sounds like you have the whole bike and a much better start. Congrats on your purchase.
clive

Post by clive »

If you are short of the weird 12/13 hole magneto sprocket thing I have just managed to purchase a new one of the whole system, back plate, sprocket, pin, washer and nut from ebay. Admittedly 16/15 holes but otherwise exactly right. If you need one I will dig out the details of the UK supplier who made the parts. An excellent fit on the K1 shaft although no slot for a woodruff key.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
darrellh

Post by darrellh »

Clive, I would appreciate the details on the supplier, thank you. I'm sure when I start assembly I will be missing something.
clive

Post by clive »

I bought it via ebay from Kingpincomponents
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143590893032 ... SweVZepx~L
s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
darrellh

Post by darrellh »

Thank you, much appreciated.