1926 AJS G8 - handlebar grips

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Greybeard

1926 AJS G8 - handlebar grips

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, folks. I have finally achieved an ambition to own a flat tanker :D As in the title it's a 1926 AJS G8 - ohv 500cc. It has belonged to a mate for the last 45 years and during that time has travelled far and wide and not once let him down - including 3 trips to the IOM, by road, not trailered. Only advancing years has prompted the sale and I have been chosen as the next custodian, though I doubt very much whether I'll achieve the 45 year record set by the PO :|
It's currently fitted with later wheels/rims so that modern tyres can be used, though I do have the original rims shod with Dunlop Cord tyres , carbide lamps/generator and pillion seat, all of which will be fitted in due course.
g8 forum.jpg
I'm currently refitting the original twist grip mechanism and internal cable - a much later one has been fitted. I have all the parts which I am currently fettling to create a nice smooth feel to it.

My initial question is regarding the handlebar grips. Under the insulating tape that binds them now is what looks like a very degraded rubber covering. Was this rubber bonded to the twist grip tube and are new replacements available? My initial thoughts were to use something like leather bar tape as used on bicycles.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: 1926 AJS G8 - handlebar grips

Post by dave16mct »

Perhaps give Jeff Hunter (the rubber man) a ring. He will make them to your sizes and pattern. Great bike!
Dave.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Cheers, Dave.

Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
AMAC Rubber open ended grips are available here
https://www.fenlandclassics.com/product ... es.com/wp-
I'm sure you need grips for 1" bars, r/h one larger dia to fit twist grip. As Dave said, you could try Jeff Hunters sons.
http://www.james-motorcycles.com/wp-con ... eces-3.pdf
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks, Rob. That's very useful - I now know that the last page of the spares book (a copy) that came with the bike is missing so the last page I have shows the tool kit and saddle and I'm missing the one I needed :roll: Nice to know that apart from a washer G435, I do have everything to set it up.
As you rightly say, it is 1" bars.

Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Greybeard wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:42 pm Thanks, Rob. That's very useful - I now know that the last page of the spares book (a copy) that came with the bike is missing so the last page I have shows the tool kit and saddle and I'm missing the one I needed :roll: Nice to know that apart from a washer G435, I do have everything to set it up.
As you rightly say, it is 1" bars.

Steve
My G8 handbook is rough but quite readable if you don't have it.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... NDBOOK.pdf
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Yes, I found that one on Christian's site, thanks, Rob - I printed it off for bedtime reading :oops:

Ive finally got the twistgrip set up and moving sweetly. A fiddly arrangement and i spent some time honing the inside of the bar to clean it up. Its taken a while but it feels worth it. Cut some new 3/16 whitworth screws to secure the end ring. Tomorrows job will be to turn up a spacing washer for the sleeve and cut the throttle cable to length and hopefully get the nipple in the right place :shock:

Steve