Pre war AJS

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
NORMAN NIPPY

Pre war AJS

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Having trouble keeping oil in the clutch tin case , the rubber seal looks good also the tin cases look good. After my third go is there a tip to fitting the tin case?
Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: Pre war AJS

Post by Rob Harknett »

Are you using prewar band and rubber or trying to make wider postwar fit. I don't bother even trying to get them oil tight. Remember, water will get in the chain case in wet weather. The oil floats on the water and the water drains out. If you get it oil tight the water will stay in. You will end up with rust coloured sludge in the chain case. I noticed one day after riding in floods, quite a large puddle of water had dripped out my chain case. Had the water stayed in over winter, I would have rusty chains and bearings next spring. I got rusty main bearings over one winter. I wondered what the noise was when I turned the engine over before starting,
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Thank you once again for your knowledge
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

You really need to fit the "T" shaped foam rubber seal from the club and a small distance piece on the centre bolt, no alchemy or magic required to get it leak free:

018652AD SEAL FOR TIN CHAINCASE. ALTERNATIVE DESIGN
Seal, tin chaincase - improved design.
Alternative to 018652
Price : £5.88 each Other currencies
Price incl. tax : £7.05 Other currencies
Stock : Available

I also feel compelled to say that it is a pressed steel chaincase not "Tin".
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not sure what the T rubber is like. Does it have a sideways D on top? The D radius fitting in the alloy band radius? If so, the radius will be too large to fit in the narrower prewar alloy band. I have not had to replace any rubbers or bands on my prewar bikes, so have no idea if post war rubbers and alloy bands to match will fit. Perhaps some one that has used post war parts can confirm if they fit OK or what obstacles have to be overcome. I assume fitting a washer inside the chain case will be needed in the T rubber is used,
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have only ever fitted with the later band, as fitted to my 1937 G2M but the cases may be later too, I find there are not that may early bands about even less in useable condition.

The washer or spacer is requires as the seal fits between the faces of the chaincase so they are slightly wider apart.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Duncan wrote:I have only ever fitted with the later band, as fitted to my 1937 G2M but the cases may be later too, I find there are not that may early bands about even less in useable condition.

The washer or spacer is requires as the seal fits between the faces of the chaincase so they are slightly wider apart.
Yes, I understood what the washer was for Duncan. So it does depend on if Authur has pre or post war alloy band, as he will need a rubber to suit it.
I am sure Dudley got tooling to make prewar bands, he also made some parts. I believe he has since, passed on the tooling.
Perhaps he will confirm if some one is still making these parts.