Foot change

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Tazmantic

Foot change

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi was at founders day today and see a bike (not for the first time) which I presume was possibly originally hand change (or versions were) but had a foot change mechanism on it were these aftermarket items that could be put on various models as I have seen them on a few, if so who made them and are they available?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
poplargreg

Re: Foot change

Post by poplargreg »

I believe Velocette held the patent for a positive stop foot change until the early 30s. After that a number of manufacturers including AJS offered it as an "add on" external mechanism. The same design was incorporated in the Burman gearbox in later years. The 1936 AJS catalogue states "hand chnage is standard, but foot change may be fitted for an extra charge of (left blank)". My 1936 AJS 250 has the external foot change, it works pretty well.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

poplargreg wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:34 pm I believe Velocette held the patent for a positive stop foot change until the early 30s. After that a number of manufacturers including AJS offered it as an "add on" external mechanism. The same design was incorporated in the Burman gearbox in later years. The 1936 AJS catalogue states "hand chnage is standard, but foot change may be fitted for an extra charge of (left blank)". My 1936 AJS 250 has the external foot change, it works pretty well.
Thanks poplargreg don’t suppose you have any pics?

Thanks Neil
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:35 pm ...... I have seen them on a few, if so who made them and are they available?
I doubt that anyone still makes them after 80 years but I suppose there could be someone producing a few replicas commercially.

You may find this vid about the first Velo pos stop mechanism interesting:

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks spriddler that’s exactly it, now how do I make one 😬

Neil