End Float - Burman CP Gearbox

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Gino-Ant

End Float - Burman CP Gearbox

Post by Gino-Ant »

Good afternoon Everyone,
Hope you can help with a question regarding end float in my Burman CP gearbox.
I've searched the internet but not had much luck finding a great deal of information on this.
There's end float on the shafts, in particular quite a lot on the layshaft, in the region of 0.060".
I noticed when assembled but with the cover off, I have a slight mismatch between the end gear of the layshaft and main shaft. Sorting the slight mismatch or eliminating the end float doesn't present a problem but I'm sure it's critical that the selector shaft is in the correct position in relation to the two geared shafts.
Is there some sort of a datum for the gears which can be worked to, the positions of the 3-shafts in relation to each other?
Any words of wisdom or advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Gino.
SPRIDDLER

Re: End Float - Burman CP Gearbox

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Gino-Ant wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:05 pm I've searched the internet but not had much luck finding a great deal of information on this.
This is just one techy article on the CP 'box. I haven't read it but it may help........

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... b_1941.pdf

More practical articles here in the section: 'Technical' then choose 'Transmission' then 'Burman' in the following link :

http://archives.jampot.dk/

See also under the 'Books' section for the Owners and Workshop manuals plus Spares Lists.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Gino-Ant

Post by Gino-Ant »

Thanks Spriddler,
I’ve pretty much scoured the various sections without luck unfortunately.
Time to get back to basics I think and work it out, shouldn’t be too difficult!
Cheers again, G
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

It sounds like you need to replace the 2 lay shaft bushes if end float is a problem , end float will be controlled by gasket thickness on the inner housing to casing or wear on the bush. Is there excessive movement on the bush causing mismatch on gears
I have had problems with excessive main shaft end float that causes clutch end float